Front prop

Hi all , fitted a new prop on the 110 200tdi 12 months ago was a hardy spicer unit and fitted as it came , had 2 big white arrows painted on it and I’m pretty sure they are in phase . Fitted it like this because of the markings , but having had the death rattle on the front end as said in another post have been reading lots of threads on various topics, and came up on the one were it says that the front prop should be 2 teeth out of phase , so should I set my prop like this or leave it as it came with the arrows lined up ? 

Cheers Ian

I've had issues with prop phasing in the past, the general view was that the UJ's should be at 45 degrees to each other, so 2 teeth out sounds about right.

It's normally fairly obvious under had acceleration if the prop is incorrectly phased.

Edited by daveturnbull

200tdi 90 rear prop is near enough the same length as a 200tdi front prop. The difference being the rear is in phase the front is out of phase. It sounds to me like you have been supplied a rear prop by mistake. If so I would set it as a front should be and try it if your problems go away great if not more investigations are needed.

mike

The yokes should be out of phase, I'd go by those rather than any painted on markings.

In theory there should be two small stamped/etched arrows which line up when the prop is in the correct phasing (be that out of phase for front prop or in phase for rear), however these are usually pretty difficult to find on older propshafts.

If you lay the thing down with the yoke on one end square to the bench/floor it will be immediately obvious if the other end is in phase or not.

Cheers both, thought it would need to be out of phase, pretty sure it’s in phase as I replaced the uj’s the other week after greenlaning, and I do get a sort of rumbling sound at 35/40 mph . Perhaps they only supply one prop to do both now Mike , wouldn’t surprise me .