Silicone Hoses

reb78

The overall question isnt engine specific so I put it here. Whats the lifespan on silicone intercooler hoses and when they fail (assuming they will), how do they do this?

Reason for asking: Smoky TD5 diesel with 6-7 year old silicone hoses and I am wondering if replacing them will make any difference. They look ok on inspection but we all know that even rubber hoses dont look like they have failed sometimes when they have.

I traced a broken intercooler hose by plumbing the outlet of the hoover into the end that fits on the turbo outlet and feeling for leaks. Found a crack that was self sealing when not under pressure. 

The girlfriend wasn't happy, but no damage to hoover and problem solved. 

Just don't do what my mates dad did many years who when servicing his Cavalier: decided to "hoover out" the carb. Needless to say, the carb did what it was designed to do and atomised a load of fuel, which promptly exploded when hitting the arcing motor. Most amusing, but blew the hoover to pieces and fresh trousers were needed all round. I know it's diesel, but I'm sure oil goes up just as well ;) I can't stress outlet enough! Lol. 

+1 for MKPerformance hoses got the full set on mine had no problems in 2 years . Took this pic the other day for roamingyaks post , it’s of the cyclone breather to air box hose 

CD0BB224-AC1F-48BE-9749-54AD655245A0.thumb.jpeg.90faa8a08703605dc4a7c9b7f3e4d9eb.jpeg

don’t know how it compares to others as it’s the first time I’ve had them fitted , but might help you make a decision.

cheers Ian 

17 hours ago, reb78 said:

How did it fail Ralph? Split? 

Im thinking of just putting genuine rubber back on it. 

Yes found a spilt in the side nearest the block, it was the elbow that fits in turbo compressor housing lower connection, slpit was about 2 inch long, didn't find it until I stripped the engine for the rebuild. no idea why it split.