300 TDi Discovery Power steering issue

Sabre

We replaced the steering box on my son's 300TDi Discovery. We bled the system until the fluid coming out of the bleed nipple was free of any air. But the power steering performs on-and-off. For periods it will be active, and steer like normal, just to loose assistance, and the steering action becomes very heavy. We bled the system again, but the fluid remained bubble free

We followed the bleeding process as described in the Haynes manual; Fill the reservoir, turn the wheels in the straight ahead position, start the engine, do not rev above idling, open the bleed screw and allow the oil to flow until no more air bubbled

We had to wait a very long time before before the first oil flowed from the bleed screw, something like 20 minutes

Did we do it wrong ? Is there another method ?

17 minutes ago, western said:

have you centralised the new steering box ? if not that might cause a weird steering feel/operation.

Western, I think we did. The drop arm can only fit in 4 positions. We fitted it in what appears to be the correct position, then turned the wheel from stop- to-stop. At the half-way point the drop arm lined up with the drag link ball joint. Did we do it right ?

On 8/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, western said:

how to centralise the box in 

Thanks for this, a really good article, even if it reminds me of a Haynes manual where every component can be removed or refitted easily. The components that they work on are never stuck 😡 😄