Front middle seat hump?

Hi all,
I'm installing part of the Wright OffRoad matting system (seat box piece) again in the front of my formerly 2.5n/a 1991 exMOD.
The previous version was ripped apart by the metal hump in front of the middle seat as pictured.
Is it really needed? (What does it do?)
And can be easily be unbolted/removed without consequence?
Thanks in advance!

middleseathump.jpg

oldmattingsystem.jpg

I can't really answer your question conclusively, but it looks exactly the same on my 2004 Def 90, I would assume the bar/hump there to provide some rigidity to the centre part of the seat box.

The front vertical panel of the box is cut away in the centre to accommodate the transmission tunnel leaving only half an inch or so of metal across the middle, my guess is that it would flex under load and allow the middle of the box to sag if the frontal top bar was removed.

Edited by crwoody

7 hours ago, western said:

have you got the correct mat ?

the R380 version shows a raised ridge for that brace to fit in, see photo's 1,2, 4,5 on http://www.wrightoffroad.com/r380_mat.htm

whereas the LT77 gearbox version doesn't show the raised part http://www.wrightoffroad.com/lt77_mat.htm

Would be worth talking to the maker for advice.

I have an LT77(or used to, its a LT77 housing anyway), thats what I ordered for the matting.

Should I not have that hump with a LT77?
Will call him tomorrow...

Edited by roamingyak

I have the lt77 seat box, with the "hump" and also have the Wright off-road matting...it definitely doesn't cover it and I can't remember if I cut it out...don't think I did as I can only remember doing the cutouts for the below seat access panels. I'll check in the morning.

1 hour ago, roamingyak said:

I have an LT77(or used to, its a LT77 housing anyway), thats what I ordered for the matting.

Should I not have that hump with a LT77?
Will call him tomorrow...

yes to the central brace on LT77 vehicles, my 110 has it too, but I haven't got the wright matting in, 

found this --- The transmission tunnel opening will also require cutting to the shape of the recess provided along with the middle seat channel.

in the fitting instructions -- see 7th line under seat box fitting - http://www.wrightoffroad.com/lt77_fit.htm

so looks like anew one would need cutting to leave the brace exposed.

Had a chinwag with Drew at Wrights:
- r380 version with the channel/hump raise built in is wider at the gearbox tunnel, so you'd have gaps either side if you go with that option.
- as said, there for support for the middle seat, can cut it if not used as a middle seat, but I like strengthening to be in place

They don'y supply it with the channel mould for the LT77 as apparently customers has so many different requirements etc etc etc
I suggested supplying a product that matchs the default configuration would be a good idea.
Anyway, cut the matting or grind off the channel is the answer.

• Like 1