Heater........V irritating

Please help before I pour petrol over my beautiful Defender. 

Very irritating and wasted day today. 

My heater used to work perfectly, then for no apparent reason just stopped working??..

i checked all fuses as nowhere seems to list which fuse is for my heater blower.......mine is an ex military 90 on a 1992 plate. 

None of the fuses appear blown, all of 5he wiring appears intact, I have fitted a brand new switch lever, the blower turns freely by hand. The switch has no effect at all on the fan. 

Although I have a multimeter and despite several attempts to find out how to use it, I can’t.  Can anyone tell me where the switch wires lead to so I can chance the line  

Does anyone have any idea why this would suddenly pack up, what am I missing? 

Thanks 

36 minutes ago, western said:

outside in left rear corner of engine bay, maybe tucked down next to heater unit, wires go into the resistor cover plate, 4 rivets secure this to heater casing.

I have a multimeter (more for tuning my beetle) but don’t know how to use it. Can you tell please  me where to poke the multimeter so I can test the unit is getting power. 

Cheers 

On 9/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, western said:

if no full peed more likely a disconnected or broken wire, you can see the speed switch wiring by moving the instrument pack & looking in to the left of the housing, 

there should be 3 wires, for earth [plain black] full speed & slow speed.  

I know The wire colours and they all look intact. Where do I find a resistor to buy?

Edited by 14Platoon
Yes

PM Simonb on here, he did/does a resistor kit which increase the slower speed but retains the standard full speed, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-Tdi-Td5-90-110-demister-fan-speed-increase-kit/163114242696?hash=item25fa5dd288:g:OtYAAOSwISNbfa90 I have one on my 110 which I no longer need,so would be willing to remove it & sell at a reduced price but inc postage, PM me for more details, but I am away weds/thurs/fri this week but can sort it at the weekend, I still have the instruction sheet too.

or a new Genuine resistor http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/13822/UTP1281-DEFENDER-HEATER-BLOWER-HARNESS.html?search=UTP1281&page=1

hope your piggy bank is well topped up.

2 hours ago, western said:

PM Simonb on here, he did/does a resistor kit which increase the slower speed but retains the standard full speed, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-Tdi-Td5-90-110-demister-fan-speed-increase-kit/163114242696?hash=item25fa5dd288:g:OtYAAOSwISNbfa90 I have one on my 110 which I no longer need,so would be willing to remove it & sell at a reduced price but inc postage, PM me for more details, but I am away weds/thurs/fri this week but can sort it at the weekend, I still have the instruction sheet too.

or a new Genuine resistor http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/13822/UTP1281-DEFENDER-HEATER-BLOWER-HARNESS.html?search=UTP1281&page=1

hope your piggy bank is well topped up.

Thanks for your offer I might take you up on that. One things puzzling me though, I have nothing at all, no fast or slow speed. If the resistor only deals with the slow speed and I have no fast speed, this would appear to be another problem apart from the resistor. Or do I have that wrong🤔

Start by checking for 12V at the wires going into the switch with the ignition on.  If power there, you have a ground issue at the switch.  If no power then note those two wire colours and check those same wires at the blower connector.  The blower connector only has three wires.  The two that go to the switch and a power wire.

Purple/Green - 12V power, with ignition on, from fuse panel.  You should have 12V there with ignition on.  If not, move to fuse.  It is the 10A fuse that has the fan symbol.

Green/Slate and Green/Yellow are the wires that go to the switch from the blower.

Edited by Red90
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Red90 said:

Start by checking for 12V at the wires going into the switch with the ignition on.  If power there, you have a ground issue at the switch.  If no power then note those two wire colours and check those same wires at the blower connector.  The blower connector only has three wires.  The two that go to the switch and a power wire.

Purple/Green - 12V power, with ignition on, from fuse panel.  You should have 12V there with ignition on.  If not, move to fuse.  It is the 10A fuse that has the fan symbol.

Green/Slate and Green/Yellow are the wires that go to the switch from the blower.

Any ideas where the ground is grounded too,Is it behind the dash or elsewhere?

goes through bulkhead to a bunch of earth wires bolted to engine side of bulkhead adjacent to the clutch master cylinder, remove the screw/bolt & clean all the terminals [usually ring end type] check all the terminals are secure on each wire & refit, smear some vaseline over the lot once resecured to bulkhead.

Have you done any testing?  Do you have power at the switch?  If so, you just need to earth the earth terminal to anything you want.  YOU need to go through and troubleshoot and not simply randomly try things.  Or find someone local that understand automotive electrics to give you a hand.

Not done any testing Red 90, I have a nice multimeter but don’t really know how to use it in this situation. I’m happy for anyone to explain it to me (like a 5 year old). Hw do I test if I have power at the switch with a multimeter? 

Dont really want to farm the work out, I’m tight and wouldnt mind the pleasure of finding the problem. 

I understand what you mean re the earth, I could use an earth test cable temporarily so that’s a great idea 👍🏻

Edited by 14Platoon

31 minutes ago, western said:

at the marked screw on this pic from my 110. between clutch master cylinder & fuel filter head 

bulkheadearthscrew.jpg

Hmmm that doesn’t appear or be there on mine in fact I can’t find any earths like that  🤔

Edited by 14Platoon