Child Seats in a 110

Dunc

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone has experience of putting child seats in the second row of a 110?

Specifically, I want to know if 3 will fit.

You may or may not be aware that the law changed regarding child seats a while back and you now have much wider full seats providing side protection for a longer period. I'm in the wonderful (!) position of having 3 of them.

Currently we're running a T6 Caravelle which has 7 full-size seats, so no problems. We're thinking of getting another 110 though, so doing some research before finding one at a dealer who'll let us try and fit our seats in...

As always, any information gratefully received. :thumbs:👍

I have two car seats in an early 110. I think you could get three across just but seat belts maybe an issue. The puma and possibly late td5 might have 3 seat belts (I don't know if they do or not) but from td5 back they only have a lap belt in the middle. Mine didn't have any rear seatbelts when I got it. I've had to retro fit the 2 that I have. Our rear seat is the 3 piece style and I have to bungee the child seats in place to stop them moving around. When we were still using the child seats own belts and the car belt for the seat it was fine. However as my children got bigger we had to change to using the cars belts and found the seats moved around a lot. My ibex has a freelander rear seat with 3 seat belts. It maybe possible to fit one in a 110.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Not your part of the country I appreciate but there is an excellent car seat shop in Milton Keynes called in car safety centre where they know what they are talking about and will fit the seats for you. I have found the car seat manufacturers cybex and britax helpful when I contacted them directly. All that said I don't travel with my kids in my 110 so I haven't tried to put their seats in.

To add to the above... I have recently purchased an extended rear facing seat for my daughter which has the side protection (Axkid minikid) and to be honest I could not see 3 of them fitting properly side by side in a 110.

Hello,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, our last 110 only had lap belts in the centre, it was a 200 Tdi.

The one we're looking at is a Puma with proper 3-point belts.

The kids all have Sparco seats which are very high spec. I always used Sparco seats and clothing when I was racing, so was very happy to use the child seats.

If I can get a day off, I'll actually go to the dealer and see if they fit...

Cheers.

Edited by Dunc

Just for information, in case anyone else is in the same position, we tried the car seats in a Disco Sport.

Disco Sport is a lot of car for the money, so we had a look and subsequently wasted a lot of the dealer's time putting the car seats in... They touched the doors both sides and you couldn't access the belts, the clasps at least, to use them.

Like I said, just putting the info out there.

With three in there it would be very difficult to get to the clasps.

There is another option. You could fit a forward facing seat in the back. The gen land rover fold up seats are ok with child seats and exmoor trim do one as well. This would make all the belts easy to access. Plus if your children are anything like mine a degree of separation reduces the arguments. Mind they will then fight over who gets to or doesn't get to sit in the boot.

Mike

Thanks guys.

Yes, I was planning on fitting two forward facing seats eventually anyway to give us a 7 seater, but from the word go it needs to be able to accommodate them on the back seat.

It's a bit of a 'strike whilst the iron is hot' situation with the trade-in offer I have on my T6, hence not being absolutely prepared...

I'll let you know how I get on once I've tried the child seats for myself. Like Reb said, it could be seat dependent too.

Fingers crossed, eh?

It's certainly going to be seat dependant and they have come along way since 1990. The car seat I have with the side protection definitely wouldn't fit 3 across. Have you tried contacting sparco to see what they say? It's one thing to get them to fit and another thing to get them to fit safely.

There's a Mike on here (can't remember his username - someone might know who I'm talking about) whose daughter works with children's car seats. Might be worth dropping him a PM if someone knows who I'm talking about. 

I tried to fit our 1 year old Recaro seat in the centre position of my 2007 Puma and it was too wide to fit in the seat base recess and also the angle at which the seat belt anchor presents itself does not allow it to be buckled properly.

I don't know if it is a particularly wide seat but I certainly couldn't fit 3. Even with it in one of the outer positions, the side bolsters touch the door trims.

This is the one I tried: https://en.recaro-cs.com/child-seats/9-36-kg/young-sport-hero.html

Hello,

Sorry to have not posted, been crazy busy at work.

I went to Listers Land Rover on Wednesday and tried my car seats in a 13 plate 110 XS Utility. 

I wouldn't necessarily have a utility, but the back seat is the same, so fair game.

Not a hope in hell of getting them in.

They physically fitted, as in you could close the doors, but in all senses of practicality (and safety) just a non-starter.

Agreed with the wife that a CSW will be ok and we'll put the eldest in a forward-facing seat in the boot. Just need to find an affordable CSW now!

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much for the replies and help.

By the way, the salesman had a nice HSE Disco 4 which he suggested I had instead.

Told him I wanted a 110 and the D4 would have to be dirt cheap for me to have that instead.

So if I end up with a D4 instead, you'll know why!!!

:)

On 10/29/2018 at 10:37 PM, Dunc said:

By the way, the salesman had a nice HSE Disco 4 which he suggested I had instead.

Told him I wanted a 110 and the D4 would have to be dirt cheap for me to have that instead.

So if I end up with a D4 instead, you'll know why!!!

I know it's something akin to heresy to type it on a Defender forum, but a D4 might be a better choice.

How old are the children?

As long as you don't have belts fitted to the side facing seats, most children can legally use them. Might be an option.

Here is a reply I got from the Department for Transport:

Thank you for your enquiry about your Landrover.

For adults in the front and rear, seat belts must be used if available.  

For children:-

in the front: all those up to 135cms in height (or 12 years or over, whichever comes first) must use the correct child seat/booster for their weight with no exceptions.  If over 135cm or 12 years and above, they are treated for the purposes of this legislation as adults;

in the rear:  where seat belts are fitted, than the same rules as for front seats apply but there are a few exceptions.  One of those says that if belts are not fitted in the rear, then those 3 years and above may travel unrestrained.  However, those under 3 years cannot travel – they must always use the correct baby/child seat for their weight in the front or rear. 

Beware of sideways facing seats:  there is no legal requirement for seat belts to be fitted in sideways facing seats – in an impact, anyone using a belt in a sideways facing seat is at increased risk of serious injury.  But if seat belts are installed then they must be used by adults.

Please note especially that where seat belts are fitted, children who are legally required to use baby/child seats/boosters cannot travel in sideways facing seats because baby/child seats/boosters legally cannot be used in sideways facing seats.  This does not mean that children may use an adult belt instead in these seats – it means that they cannot travel at all in sideways facing seats where belts are fitted.  That may have an effect on carrying capacity.  If extra seat belts are installed in the rear in order to carry children, they should be installed on forward or rearward facing seats – baby/child seats/boosters can be used in forward and rearward facing seats.

Nothing in seat belt wearing legislation prevents the carrying of adults in seats that do not have seat belts installed – even if other seats in the rear have belts fitted.  It goes without saying however those seats with seat belts should be used first.

Remember that the police can take action if, in the judgement of an officer, passengers are being carried where “the manner in which they are carried is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person”.  The penalties for this offence are notably higher than for a seat belt wearing offence.

If you are likely to carry passengers without seat belts, you might consult your insurer about their attitude should there be a claim.  And bear in mind that if there is an impact, the body of anyone unrestrained is likely to be a considerable risk to those seated in the front or elsewhere in the rear.

I hope this clarifies the position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

How old are the children?

As long as you don't have belts fitted to the side facing seats, most children can legally use them. Might be an option.

Here is a reply I got from the Department for Transport:

Thank you for your enquiry about your Landrover.

For adults in the front and rear, seat belts must be used if available.  

For children:-

in the front: all those up to 135cms in height (or 12 years or over, whichever comes first) must use the correct child seat/booster for their weight with no exceptions.  If over 135cm or 12 years and above, they are treated for the purposes of this legislation as adults;

in the rear:  where seat belts are fitted, than the same rules as for front seats apply but there are a few exceptions.  One of those says that if belts are not fitted in the rear, then those 3 years and above may travel unrestrained.  However, those under 3 years cannot travel – they must always use the correct baby/child seat for their weight in the front or rear. 

Beware of sideways facing seats:  there is no legal requirement for seat belts to be fitted in sideways facing seats – in an impact, anyone using a belt in a sideways facing seat is at increased risk of serious injury.  But if seat belts are installed then they must be used by adults.

Please note especially that where seat belts are fitted, children who are legally required to use baby/child seats/boosters cannot travel in sideways facing seats because baby/child seats/boosters legally cannot be used in sideways facing seats.  This does not mean that children may use an adult belt instead in these seats – it means that they cannot travel at all in sideways facing seats where belts are fitted.  That may have an effect on carrying capacity.  If extra seat belts are installed in the rear in order to carry children, they should be installed on forward or rearward facing seats – baby/child seats/boosters can be used in forward and rearward facing seats.

Nothing in seat belt wearing legislation prevents the carrying of adults in seats that do not have seat belts installed – even if other seats in the rear have belts fitted.  It goes without saying however those seats with seat belts should be used first.

Remember that the police can take action if, in the judgement of an officer, passengers are being carried where “the manner in which they are carried is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person”.  The penalties for this offence are notably higher than for a seat belt wearing offence.

If you are likely to carry passengers without seat belts, you might consult your insurer about their attitude should there be a claim.  And bear in mind that if there is an impact, the body of anyone unrestrained is likely to be a considerable risk to those seated in the front or elsewhere in the rear.

I hope this clarifies the position.

Wow, that's interesting.

Unfortunately they're 1, 4 and 6 and need seats. I couldn't leave them rattling around on rear benches with no restraint, just asking for trouble.

35 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Wow, that's interesting.

Unfortunately they're 1, 4 and 6 and need seats. I couldn't leave them rattling around on rear benches with no restraint, just asking for trouble.

The 4 and 6 year old, are according to the info from the DfT perfectly legal in a side facing seat with no belt and no child seat. I'm not saying it's what you should do or not. Although it is something that was/is done for decades and mostly without issue.

70mph on the motorway at peaks times maybe not such a wise decision. But if it's more local use and 30mph roads, then a risk based approach would say it's fairly low risk. And would at least provide a stop gap solution.

I absolutely see where you're coming from, but if I'm spunking out almost £40k on a car I want it to be the perfect solution. My missus would never go for not having them in seats either and it's not worth the earache.

Yes, we also do distances and the only time we do 30mph is pulling up to a junction...

My kids also need restraints to keep them apart half the time, especially when travelling!

In my opinion the UK requirments on children's car seats are woefully inadequate, forward facing far too early to be safe even at speeds of 30mph where most accidents happen. In other countries the laws around children's car seats are significantly tighter than in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...