DEFENDER MODEL

Hi this maybe a silly question to most , but i cant work out if my 1996 defender 300tdi is a (L316) or a (LD) , So when on e@@y and you do a vehicle parts checker both years etc are the same and i get to if its a LD or L316 im stumped . 

L316 refers to the LR design code for Defenders, it's NOT part of the VIN/Chassis number, which made up of 17 digits [letters & numbers] just give that to your parts supplier, they should be able to decode it, 

it shows, factory of build, engine,steering,gearbox, body type, year of build, chassis serial number. 

see section 1 in http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/1_front_cover_intro_numerical_index_p1-16_&_p1076-1151.pdf

THE LD part will be in the VIN number, as is mine -- SALLDHMB7FA****** so using the LD as a project number is not what its for. it means -- LD - Ninety, One Ten, 127, Defender

mine decodes as 

S= Europe

A = UK

L = Land Rover

LD = 90/110/127/130/Defender

H = 110 wheelbase

M = 4 door station wagon

B = 2.5 turbo diesel

7 = right hand steering

F = model year 1989

A = Solihull build

then the 6 digit serial number 

making 17 digits in total.

PM or post your VIN  but minus the last 6 digits & we will be able to tell you exactly what the original build was.