Anti roll bars and suspension lifts

My new Puma has anti-roll bars front and rear, as fitted standard to the last vehicles. I'm in two mind about whether to keep them or not, as I think they make the ride a bit choppy off-road, but they make a huge difference to the stability on-road.

I'm also thinking about a suspension lift of ~ 2" probably via fitting a lift kit, though I may do what I did on my Tdi and fit 90 rear springs on the front, and spring lifter spacers on the back.

I've heard vague stories here of lifted vehicles turning the ARB ball joints inside-out which locks the suspension up solid, but I am unsure what level of lift makes this become a risk, and whether it's only in specific situations e.g. fitting a full lift kit with extended shocks. Can anybody shed any light on this problem, specifically:

1) whether it's likely with a 2" lift

2) whether it happens with std shocks or only with extended ones

To my mind, standard shocks will only allow the standard amount of suspension travel so while the vehicle may sit a bit higher, it shouldn't really change anything to make the ARBs have problems.

Ta, I might look at dropping the mounts as you suggest. It's got quite a choppy ride off road compared to the Tdi, so in the longer term they may come off completely, but at the moment the 300 does the brunt of the proper off road work.

CD, no, I am doing it primarily for clearance with big tyres plus a bit of extra ground clearance. When I started driving Land Rovers in the mid 80s there were no roads at all in this country, not where I was growing up, so over the years I've pretty much figured out what I want out of a vehicle off road, which is why they both ended up looking more or less the same. Just that these new fangled things like anti roll bars are a new problem ;)

DSCF5249.JPG

DSCF4397.JPG