clutch bite point/slip

sorry for long winded post.

1989 110 fitted with r380 and 300tdi from a disco. 

fitted new clutch and all

was well but a spring broke so replaced whole clutch and since new clutch fitted its biting point is right at the top and just the weight of boot taking free play out causes it to slip. 

with 3.5ton on towbar it still fully disengages and only slips if foot rested on pedal. i dont drive with foot resting on it but when pulling away i have to fully remove boot between gear change. 

its been like it since changing the clutch  original clutch was ok, biting point 3/4 way down. 

ive tried complete pedal box and slave off known good defender and tried mine on his and same result using his. 

have changed master, slave, flexi hose and new metal pipe for genuine and no different. 

have set pedal per manual, also tried leaving nuts loose and over adjusting so pedal is pulling master back and holding pedal off its stop. 

im about to do gearbox change as whining in 4th and 5th so anything i  may be missing and need to check. 

its a well known clutch and not a cheap blue box clutch

Edited by Tim2809
appology for long post

item 4 isn't needed for everyday, its just a retaining plastic clip to keep the 2 slipper pads in place while assembly is being done, they can be left out with no ill effect, I don't bother with them,

do you have a overdrive fitted ?

cos mine caused clutch slip, once it was removed the slipping disappeared.

Edited by western
part ident in link corrected

mine works fine and when i changed it in july i removed engine so hydraulics were not disturbed. have tried other hydraulics since.  

apart from measuring the pushrod im 99% convinced its the springs weak in the cover 

got a whining gearbox to change so want to sort clutch at same point. 

Different kits, mine was a Valeo. I just jogged my memory on this and it was my spigot bush, it had fallen apart and was sitting proud of the flywheel, this in turn put the clutch plate proud, I had other issues too, clutch fork had not seated correctly, gearbox was out three times. I made a tool to insert a new bush, I used a socket that was a good fit inside the bush then put a nut , bolt and big washer through it, this meant the washer drifted the bush in evenly and the socket stopped it from warping and cracking. Aligning the clutch is very important as jiggling the gearbox in can easily damage the bush. Always use a genuine bush from Land Rover, they don't cost much and are pre soaked in oil, the quality difference between them and aftermarket is very obvious.

Is it possible to remove the slave cylinder and inspect the release bearing through the hole?

I am wondering if it is seated correctly on the fork.

With you saying that you can back off the pedal adjustment and still have no free play I am wondering if it is something mechanical rather than hydraulic. If there is no free play, the release bearing won't last very long either.

53 minutes ago, Roverdrive said:

Is it possible to remove the slave cylinder and inspect the release bearing through the hole?

I am wondering if it is seated correctly on the fork.

With you saying that you can back off the pedal adjustment and still have no free play I am wondering if it is something mechanical rather than hydraulic. If there is no free play, the release bearing won't last very long either.

ive not done that to be honest anout the only thing ive not done. 

what are you thinking it may have slipped and hooked up being the tube of the release bearing? 

when i say ive backed it off on the master push rod this was so i guaranteed it was being pulled fully out.  

On 11/11/2018 at 3:39 PM, Roverdrive said:

That was what I was thinking. I don’t know if it is possible but I can’t think of anything else that hasn’t already been suggested 

borrowed bore scope as cannot see directly from slave hole. release bearing is sat correctly. 

i suppose i will find out what it is when i pull the box out