Exhaust position and Fumes

Hi I am new to the site and defenders, after a long time being a lurker I took the plunge a got a TD5 90 soft top, and love it. my question is: I am looking at having a custom twin stainless exhaust built and was going to have them rear facing but am concerned about fumes wafting back in to the back when the sides are up in the summer etc... would I be better having the pipes where they are now or moving in from of the rear wheels? can any one help me...

many thanks 

Rob 

Hi Rob, welcome to the fold.

I would suggest the exhaust coming out of the side of the car.

I used to have the exhaust exiting through the PTO hole in the rear crossmember, but this indeed made it suck in the exhaust fumes in the car and give me big head aches.

Daan

We used to have a V8 90 with a TD5 rear exhaust section on it and it was fine with the rear canvas rolled up regardless of whether the windows are opened or closed. More recently a v8 series 1 has arrived with an exhaust out of the PTO hole on the crossmember, with the back rolled up it makes your eyes water under acceleration and opening the windows or removing the door tops doesn't seem to make a difference - I'd keep the exhaust exiting to the side personally