Bonnet Catch

As part of my 'extensive' rebuild of my 110, I decided to buy a new bonnet catch as the nasty old one sticks out like a sore thumb. The replacement came from the blue box people... While I appreciate that they're improving the quality of their parts by leaps and bounds, the item I got was so shoddy that I would be embarrassed to use it on a lawnmower. The metal is not much thicker than that found on a drinks can, and if I was in a bad mood I could crush it with one hand. I've got a couple of old genuine ones that I could sandblast, but the assembly itself has a spring in the middle, which because it's riveted together, you can't strip (well, not easily). Consequently, you'd never be able to do a thorough job, which would make a mockery of the whole thing. There is a 'new' genuine one on the Bay of Evil, but looking at the photos it's almost as rusty as the ones I have here. There are absolutely loads of others for sale too, but most of them don't say what make they are. As far as I can see, this is the list of options:

Britpart

Bearmach

Allmakes

Land Rover

The first and the last I know about, so I would be most grateful if anyone has knowledge regarding the quality of the Bearmach and Allmakes items!

Edited by Paddy_SP

33 minutes ago, Paddy_SP said:

While I appreciate that they're improving the quality of their parts by leaps and bounds

Their tactic is to peddle whatever's cheapest to manufacture, so it may be better one year then worse the next.

I would go Allmakes for circa £10, the Bearmach ones are half the price so will be rubbish. Although, genuine isn't much more.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/parts/AGB710020

Thanks for your thoughts - I did look at the lrworkshop website, but the latch assembly from there (http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/8242/MUC6457-BONNET-SAFETY-HOOK.html) works out at just shy of £25 by the time you've added VAT and postage, which seemed a bit much. If all else fails, I will go for it though!

17 hours ago, Paddy_SP said:

I appreciate that they're improving the quality of their parts by leaps and bounds

Funny, I'd heard they were reducing it even further to make it less painful to pay all the returns under their warranty scheme.

If you can't get decent new bits then for something like that I'd go for good condition used parts.

I've got a new bearmach one in the workshop ready for fitting in the 2bex build.

The base is made of 1.6mm steel, the hook pressed from 1.2mm steel and the whole thing looks like it's been spray galv'ed.

I wouldn't call it high quality, but I don't get the impression it's going to fail the first time I slam the bonnet either.