HP22 auto gear box loom

Ok next wiring conundrum, gearbox loom, of lack of it!

Quick recap, defender build, based on TD5 around 2004 mark, rover V8 EFI 3.9. auto

I have a ROW TD5 loom (no ECU), basic. YMC002383. I have a TD5 chassis loom, can’t (find a part number on that) but it had a 4 wire rear tank fuel pump / sender connection and orange bulk head plug TD5 lamp connectors etc. I have all the other loom parts, wings, instruments etc.

So I have this on a bench and have plugged everything in, and I’m pretty sure (checked 5 times) I have used all the plugs, so in theory everything is on.

My next step was to mate the ZF HP22 auto box loom to the main loom. This is from a classic range rover and I have the gearbox loom to match. I was expecting to find an unused plug in my loom somewhere, which was the gear box loom connector, but there are no connections for this on the main loom or chassis loom.  I assumed all defenders had a gear box loom that plugged into the main loom, with the variations for different models? 

I realise that this HP22 auto box was only fitted to the 50th anniversary by land rover and that loom might be a one off and that I would have to make some modifications to the loom. But I was expecting to find the connections all the gearboxes use, i.e. speed sensor, reverse gear, diff lock etc., either off the chassis loom or off the main loom via a plug.

So where is it? My only thought at the moment is that my chassis loom is not matched to the main loom and that, sometimes the gearbox has its own loom and plugs into the main loom and sometimes it comes off the chassis loom directly and I have ended up with a mis matched pair and have neither?

My plan was to find a discovery 2 auto box loom as it’s the same gearbox similar year and work out how to connect it to the TD5 loom, but without any starting point, I’m a bit stumped?

That does bring me to another point, is there anywhere I can get the Rave stuff so I can look all the wiring from different models, to work this stuff out? I am doing it via Google images at the moment and it takes for ever to find the correct pages as they seem to be mis titled most of the time, plus there is a company who want me to part with my credit card details to view the pages, which I’m not too keen on  for scamming reason. When I started this 7 years ago, (no, I’m not that slow, its was taken over by life’s little challenges for 6 years!) I had the Rave stuff in full but now I can’t find it.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that since the TD5 Defender wasn't made with an automatic variant, it won't be included in the loom.

There is a reverse light switch and difflock as standard on the manual, so would assume there are wires for this!

What you really need to figure out is if the Range Rover gearbox ECU was very intelligent or just did a basic map across of MAP / Throttle and potentially speed?

The relationship in the D2 links speed transducer, that fed SLABS which fed speedo and TD5 ECU.... All linked. (And reliant on the TD5 ECU)

It my just be simpler to bite the bullet and go Compushift as this will run as a stand alone gearbox controller. (As fitted in my Auto TD5 Defender with ZF HP22)

Yes, HP22 E but a rebuilt one from Ashcroft.

I'm using Compushift and the latest firmware upgrade lets me lock the torque converter in 3rd and 4th so it can be configured to change gear and lock the TC at different speeds / throttle positions.

Where are you based? I'm happy to show you the install and how it ll works if you like.

Regards engine management... Have a chat with Nigel (Excess4x4 also known as @Hybrid_From_Hell) on here as he's got a lot of experience with Megasquirt... That can happily run a Rover V8... (I had a version running on my 4.6 in the old 110.... Worked very well.)

Others who are virtual guru's on Megasquirt are @FridgeFreezer and @Bowie69

Ok just did some digging around, and the system looks great and had i have know about this before i installed my stage 3 Ashcroft HP22 (not HP22E) I would have gone for the electronic version. I avoided it as i thought the electronics in a custom vehicle would be a night mare. But i guess a lots changed in 10 years. So back to my problem, where are the connections?

What connections does the HP22 (Not E) have electronically? Just the Reverse light switch?

On my TD5 loom, the reverse light switch connector is near the front of the seat box... If you can figure out what section that could be on the bench it might help.

P3280142.JPG.a0358715716bb3c862832be5c14146dd.JPG

It's passenger side and the connector in this image is the one near the breather. 

Diff-lock further back as the loom goes across the top of the transfer box and into the drivers seat box. (Where the ECU resides)

Ahh, that helps a lot. I can see that the main loom runs over the top of the gearbox and into the drivers seat box. i thought it ran around the edge of the chassis, as i havent actuall offered it up yet. So my speed tranducer and reverse switch might be on the main loom, where i was'nt expecting or looking for it,  i'll look later. Thanks for pic. I'm near Bristol, south west, where are you? So is your HP22E mated to a TD5 diesel?

no classic had a cable going to the chassis mounted transducer. i actually found all the plugs on my loom in the end. I dident look at the engine part loom ,which is a 300tdi and it turns out this goes all the way back to drivers seat box and passes the gear box on the way. As i am building this from parts and never took it apart, only much older 90's,  its amazing how long these stupid little things can take.