gloabalroamer on 200 tdi

Hi.

I have a 1995 200 tdi defender which recently had an engine rebuild. I have fitted a ported gasflow cylinder head from turner engineering as well as a variable vane turbo with an uprated intercooler from Allisport. The engine has also been tuned with a slight fuel lift. All in all a significant increase in power and much better driveability. Still a truck but a hell of a lot better than one off the factory floor.

I do a lot of highway driving and this is my daily drive- hence all that work. I am wanting to install an overdrive from globalroamer in Canada. Does anyone have any experience with an overdrive with the above mentioned under bonnet modifications. The manufacturer recommend not fitting one if the power of the engine is above 380Nm but I have no way of measuring this where I live.

Thanks for any advice

Hi there and welcome to the forum....

I ran a "Roamerdrive" for several years behind a TD5 that had some gentle modifications.... (VGT Turbo, much bigger intercooler, Re-mapped ECU, custom air intake and exhaust to help it all breathe properly)

It coped admirably and is about to begin part two of it's life under another members vehicle being used for some long trips around Europe etc... 

On Paper my engine at peak was probably at the OD's limit, if not above, but I rarely drove it to limits and I doubt you will regularly be on full boost at peak torque etc.

With your modifications I can't envisage your engine being any trouble for the Overdrive.

Go for it.. They are a wonderful piece of kit... I only removed mine as I converted my truck to an auto....

I've got a Roamerdrive behind a 4.6 V8 in a 127 Ambulance and it seems happy enough - I've towed with it (so ~6t all up) and cruised along at 90mph on a run and it's fine. I would advise the extended sump just for the extra oil capacity and cooling as the overdrive puts more load on the oil.

The Roamerdrives are very nicely made and very robust compared to the GKN types.