110 200tdi won’t start

All,

last night I tried the 110 but it would not start.

It is a 200tdi defender engine (former 2,5 na) 

So the symptoms:

- battery is fairly New 100 Ah. 

-  all electrics work ( lights etc.) 

- If i turn the key the glow light, battery light and oil light light up as normal

- I hear a clicking sound from around the fusebox (start relais?) 

- nothing else.....  the starter does nothing.

I searched the forum but I cant figure out what to do/check. How do I check the starter. I can’t really see any wires going to it. 

Does anybodu gave a step by step check (with pictures) so I can find out what is wrong.

Thanks!! 

There are a few basic things you can check to start with:

(1) Despite being nearly new, the battery could have insufficient charge for a number of reasons. It is possible for a battery to have just enough power to put your lights on but not enough to turn the engine over. Get the battery charged and try again. If this doesn't work, try step 2.

(2) Loose wires/poor earth to the starter motor. Check the security of the wires from the battery to the starter motor including the earth lead. If they proove to be fine, connect a jump lead from the negative terminal of the battery to the engine block then try and start it.

check the thin white/red trace wire is connected to the starter motor soleniod, the wiring is hard to see/access with the exhaust downpipe fitted.

you should have connections like these [from my 200tdi engined 110] you can ignore the thicker cable on left ofthe rubber boot

WP_20171104_11_35_27_Pro.jpg

Again thanks for the great tips. 

The battery is full and checked (replaced it with another one) but got the same result. only clicking. 

Will try checking the wires this weekend. Do they go from the ignition switch straight to the starter or are the coming from somewhere else? 

Are there places where they are most likely to break/come loose? 

Thanks again. 

The main wires to check at the starter motor are the ones shown in Western's picture above. These are a sod to get at as they sit under the engine manifolds. For safety, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery first then check the security of the white/red wire with a spade terminal (as Western describes), this is the wire from the starter relay.

Then check the main positive feed to the starter motor from the battery where it connects to the main bus on the starter solenoid (shown in Western's picture with the thick red feed from the battery insulated with a rubber boot). This also has brown wires taking the positive feed to the other circuits on the same connection. All these have ring terminals held inplace with a 13mm [I think] nut.

Finally check the security of the clamp on the positive terminal on the battery and the point where the negative terminal connects to the engine/gearbox before clamping the negative wire back on the negative terminal of the battery.

You can also take a jump lead from the negative terminal of the battery and clip it as close to the starter motor mounts as possible (without coming in contact with the positive feed wire!). This will by pass any poor earth conection to the starter motor.

• Like 1

So checken the wires.

- red/white: has power at the terminal

- + has power at the starter

- terminals are clean.

- knuckels are shot because of that sodding exhaust. What a plain to get loose..

Any other ideas?

cheers

Thanks Western, 

Will check those as well. 

I would like to order a starter motor to be sure. (would like to drive it again asap)  

Would all 200tdi starters fit or did they change them during the production of the 200tdi. I'm thinking about the Bearmach one. https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR5009-Starter-Motor-2Tdi-Late-3Tdi-New/

(my engine code is 11L35691A)

Thank again. 

When you turn the key, what does happen (nothing or clicking noise)?

I think you have now confirmed other sources of trouble:

• loose connections at terminals of earths, battery and starter motor
  • Poor state of charge in battery
  • Poor earth point by connecting the negative battery terminal to engine block with jump lead
  • ignition switch and starter relay working by confirming 12v at white/red tracer wire

I think now the blame can rest at the starter motor. Yes, that starter motor in the link you provide should fit your 200 Tdi as far as I am aware.

1 hour ago, marieholm said:

Thanks Western, 

Will check those as well. 

I would like to order a starter motor to be sure. (would like to drive it again asap)  

Would all 200tdi starters fit or did they change them during the production of the 200tdi. I'm thinking about the Bearmach one. https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR5009-Starter-Motor-2Tdi-Late-3Tdi-New/

(my engine code is 11L35691A)

Thank again. 

Same unit on all pre 300tdi diesel engines. Or prc5109 also fits on earlier 200tdi.

All,

It works!!! 

Fitted the new starter and it fired up perfectly. 

Thanks for all the advice. With the help of this forum it was an easy job. (well besides the horrible location of the starter)

Cheers,

• Like 1