No-power Power steering

Sabre

My son has a 300TDi Discovery. About 3 months ago he lost the power steering ability on his car intermittently. We started off by bleeding the system as per the Haynes manual but there was no improvement.We then fitted a new power steering pump, and as the steering box was leaking, we also exchanged that for a reconditioned box.  The power steering then worked for about two months, but has now stopped functioning again. And as per the previous occasion, when we now bled the system again, the fluid coming from the bleed nipple flows very slowly

Any advice ?

Look at what hasn’t been changed.

Could a hose be delaminating restricting flow?

is the header tank clean of debris?

i managed to drop the cardboard disc out of the top of a bottle of oil in once which cause very hit and miss steering!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roverdrive said:

Look at what hasn’t been changed.

Could a hose be delaminating restricting flow?

is the header tank clean of debris?

i managed to drop the cardboard disc out of the top of a bottle of oil in once which cause very hit and miss steering!

Thanks, will check these possibilities 

Have you check the swivel pin preload?
This would normally get looser with wear but the test is can also highlight CV joint wear which could cause the CV to bind slightly (I had warn CV's causing heavy steering, the box and pump were fine).
Land Rover says it should be about 12 - 14 lbs pull to turn the joint with the steering linkage removed.
See  https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/how-adjust-your-swivel-pin-preload-36607/

on how to test

• Like 1