Hand painting - which paint?

PaulMartin

I'm new here so apologies if this has been dealt with before!

I have a 1984 ex-Army Series III 88" soft top in pretty original condition which means layers of hand-painted green.

I'm putting right a back-log of maintenance and need to touch up the paintwork and would like to know what shade of green is right, and where best to buy it online? For example I don't know if it is NATO green or something else? It will be applied by brush.

Thanks.

20180629_180417 2.jpg

BS381-285 Nato green.  Either mat or satin finish. Satin tends to look better in my opinion.  You can either order it online or go to your local bodyshop supplies place and order it in 1k polyurethane paint, with fast flash thinners to dilute it (or white spirit works). 

Be careful with brush painting spray paints.  I had half a can of NATO green left over that had been sprayed on a Lightweight.  When I brush or roller painted some of it for touch ups on that same vehicle, the match was perfect but faded fast over the ext few years while the sprayed areas remained the original shade.  I don't know if it was a lack of thinners or hardener additive, but the patchiness looked awful.

As stated above Marcus Glenn satin paint, thin it with white spirit but use a fine foam roller to apply. It takes a couple of coats but it comes out very smooth. I did my 101 this way and was very pleased with the results.

46791991165_5500824291_k.jpg  , 

Edited by greenmeanie
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

I'm not looking for a concours finish - it was delivered new in bronze green and some poor squaddie was given the task of hand painting it! (I have the original casting document which shows it was a genuine ex-army vehicle and there are a couple of miltary modifications, although it still sports civilian-spec lights.)

I'm only wanting to touch up new nuts, bolts and other bits I've applied red oxide primer to so I'm looking for a tin of matt green (not satin) to be applied by brush, thinned as required in a paint pot. An ebay shop would be ideal.

Thanks again.