Strange 300tdi noise

It sounds like the injection pump to me as I'm having the exact same issue on my 300Tdi Discovery. I've been running my Discovery on normal diesel and I decided to try some veg oil (as I run 25/75 in my 200Tdi 110 anyway) and ever since then I've had a fuel starvation issue.

I've replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the gauze filter in the lift pump (it's a Delphi one), blew the fuel lines out too but I suspect my issue is in the tank or sediment filter.

But for you to be sure try and get an engineers stethoscope (or a long screw driver) and see if the sound is coming from the injection pump. I suspect it is.

Good point ,  you have reminded me of one I had in about 5 years ago that had a clear plastic in line filter grafted badly into the FIP feed line and had the same noise from the FIP . It turned out the connections on the in-line filter were allowing air in but not diesel out . I removed  it and replaced the feed pipe and all good . The most strange thing of all was that performance was unaffected  , which I found unusual .

cheers

Steve b