300Tdi Conversio Exhaust

I am rebuilding 110 1987 with 300TDI disco mated to LT77 Box.

the original engine was 2495cc but ther was no exhaust on when I got it.

Does anyone know which exhaust parts I will need to convert to my set up ?? as I am ready to fit full exhaust and will order the parts I need. need to go for the Cheapest option available.

Thanks

1 hour ago, western said:

Stay with the original type but with the 300tdi downpipe, if you change all of the system to 300tdi you will have to change the chassis brackets to suit the rubber ring hangers

Thanks I thought they were a different Bore / Width in the pipes, will the Original match up to the 300 ?

I always use a full 300tdi system,  because the engine sits further back than a factory 300 you need to cut/shorten the length of the downpipe tail- from memory I think it was 17cm - then everything else going back is sitting in the right place. 

Not too difficult to make a couple of exhaust hangers, or Halfords sell universal flexible exhaust mounts which are a quick solution.

6 hours ago, Eightpot said:

I always use a full 300tdi system,  because the engine sits further back than a factory 300 you need to cut/shorten the length of the downpipe tail- from memory I think it was 17cm - then everything else going back is sitting in the right place. 

Not too difficult to make a couple of exhaust hangers, or Halfords sell universal flexible exhaust mounts which are a quick solution.

If I go 300 Do I have to buy 300 hangers ? or just match them up with hangers on the pipe

Yes, or make some, if you have a welder and some scraps of metal they arent difficult to knock up.  You can buy ready made brackets, YRM sell them as well as craddocks etc - ESR3293/4

Easiest thing is to fit the exhaust,  suspend it on cord or straps and you'll see where they need to go. Rear one is easy, middle one you may need to weld to chassis crossmember or may be able to bolt existing bracket, front one I've usually made a little bracket to hang off a transfer box PTO cover bolt

Think I could of made  Big Mistake here, Ive ordered parts ESR2297, ESR2383,

ESR2384, , what I forgot to say in my first post was that my 300Tdi Engine is out of a Discovery fitted to my 110,  will this make a difference to these parts ??

Thanks for help so far with this.

Kevin,

if your 300 is mated to an LT77 gearbox then, in all likelyhood it is mounted further back in the engine bay than the standard position for it when they were factory fitted. 

As a result there is no standard downpipe to fit your engine. It's not a matter of shortening a standard item as due to its position relative to the engine mount it requires a more complex shape.

You will need to either make a downpipe or do a Google search to find a producer of 300 Tdi conversion downpipes. Steve Parker springs to mind and I'm sure there'll be some on ebay.

HTH

Mo

4 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Kevin,

if your 300 is mated to an LT77 gearbox then, in all likelyhood it is mounted further back in the engine bay than the standard position for it when they were factory fitted. 

As a result there is no standard downpipe to fit your engine. It's not a matter of shortening a standard item as due to its position relative to the engine mount it requires a more complex shape.

You will need to either make a downpipe or do a Google search to find a producer of 300 Tdi conversion downpipes. Steve Parker springs to mind and I'm sure there'll be some on ebay.

HTH

Mo

Thanks Mate. I have already ordered down pipe, suppose if it wont fit I can send it back. 

The downpipe goes down , then slightly diagonal, then horizontal towards the end - cut in this section so you dont affect the height when fitted. 

The bit you chop out, cut a slot along its length, then you slide this inside the two halves to give extra strength and support when you weld it up. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, Eightpot said:

The downpipe goes down , then slightly diagonal, then horizontal towards the end - cut in this section so you dont affect the height when fitted. 

The bit you chop out, cut a slot along its length, then you slide this inside the two halves to give extra strength and support when you weld it up. 

Should I cut out somewhere near that weld you can see on the straight bit at end ? in first pic or cut out over the weld ?  Don't know why it has been welded there as it is Brand New, I told Paddocks about it and they are going to find out why it has been welded there.

Also when cut and moved around 6 inches back I am certain that hangers will line up just right,  But it is very close to the chassis in places as you can see in Pics.  Is this Too Close ? as cant see any way to move it out and further away from chassis.

335dtw2.jpg

ablc15.jpg

2jcim51.jpg

Yes you can cut near that weld.  The joints do allow a bit of swivel, so the centre section will sit away from the chassis, or make the cut with a very slight angle -

Cut it, join it with a couple of tacks and test fit it, there's a fair bit of wiggle room and movement on the rubbers even if its not quite right.