Gold box on an LQ4 v8

I got a Megasquirt Gold box to run my LQ4 after the factory loom and ECU was as cut out from the vehicle, the aftermarket ECU and loom almost worked but had the immobiliser (VATS) enabled which cut power to the injectors.
I imported the gold box from EFI Source who makes them in the states after really struggling to find any open source information on tuning LS type engines in the UK. It arrived after getting mugged by customs and general confusion between the US postal service, UPS and Parcelforce. DHL is the only way to ship small items from the States I think.

The LQ4 is going in an off roader bolted to an LT95 4 speed from a 101 with a trailer / Perentie PTO on it.

I'm only now at the stage of needing it running properly and need to change the injectors to an EV1 type. I was looking for an injector that is well known and supported in various applications and was thinking the Bosch : 0280155968 'green giant' 440cc injectors are about the right size for my application. There are a lot of Chinese knockoffs of these things which seem to have sold in large numbers but less so of the genuine ones.
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BOSCH-0280155968-Fuel-Injector-0-280-155-968-GREEN-GIANT-440cc-EV1-4/112888562774?epid=249286692&hash=item1a48aec456:g:FA4AAOSwpNxatUhJ

Has anybody any recommendations for where to get 8 flow matched injectors from, preferably in the UK?

I have never used megasquirt in my entire life so it will be a learning experience for me for sure. I'll post random updates here and probably a lot more questions.
I have sooo many questions but also thanks to everyone who's posted here in this sub forum, especially Nige which is partly why I went with megasquirt instead of Holley or any of the other big names.

I added a picture just because posts are boring without them and I don't have any pictures of injectors I don't have. The front suspension is a one link. 

IMG_2170.jpg

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

saw that but still don't know what or why - the engine has injectors on it that are correct for the engine, yes or no?

Yes, but no. The injectors were correct for an application that this engine isn't in now. The original configuration had a rev limit of 5800 rpm at 80% injector duty cycle. The injectors in it have a mini delphi connector that suited the old loom but not my new loom and are well known to lean out and cause problems. They run at 80-90% duty cycle in the factory standard applications. They only flow around 3.180 gm/sec or 25.2lb/hr @ 58 psi compared even to the smaller displacement engines of the same family which flow 30lbs. There are around ten different factory injectors for the LS family of engines, none of which are recommended by 20 years of peoples experience it seems. I wanted an injector with which the Megasquirt community was familiar with and that all the data such as dead time and offset was available and around the flow range of other identical engines and easily obtained base map tunes.
The same injectors I'm looking at have been used in a  number of rover v8 builds and I think are well suited to the application and will have enough flow should I add a little boost.

Have you any suggestions to find reasonably priced flow matched injectors? Cheers for being the only one to respond too!!

If you want to use genuine Bosch I'd look at picking up a couple of used sets of volvo/Saab/anything boosted injectors off ebay and getting them refurbed. You'd need to research and find some with suitable flow rate, but they should be in the right ballpark. 

Just check that they have the right notches at the top for the clips that retain them into the fuel rail, some ev6 Injectors don't have them.

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

If you want to use genuine Bosch I'd look at picking up a couple of used sets of volvo/Saab/anything boosted injectors off ebay and getting them refurbed. You'd need to research and find some with suitable flow rate, but they should be in the right ballpark. 

Just check that they have the right notches at the top for the clips that retain them into the fuel rail, some ev6 Injectors don't have them.

Cheers  for the response, and a good one at that. I should have said already actually, that is a Bosch injector from a Volvo I was looking for. I think it's one of the most commonly used in aftermarket applications. I'm struggling to avoid the word 'tuning' but that's exactly what it is. I was looking for a set of genuine flow matched ones but the only ones I've found on my feeble searching thus far that claim to be are Chinese knockoffs. It's EV1  connections I need which thankfully seem to be the most common in Europe but not in flow matched sets of 8 because of our predisposition towards cars with not enough cylinders.

Some further information on the engine for those in the know as suggestions are totally welcome. 
The engine is part of the LS series of engines from Chevrolet. Mine has a 9.4:1 compression ratio, I've added a 25kg flywheel to it to help with running at low rpm.

Cam specs are: Duration @ .050 in. (int./exh.) 191/190 196/207
Valve Lift (int./exh.) 0.457 in./0.466 in. 0.467 in./0.479 in.
Lobe Separation Angle 114° 116°

I'd like to have a clean 500 rpm idle and aiming for over 40hp at 1000rpm. 

I was wondering if the duty cycle of larger injectors would help with sequential injection timinng at lower rpm?

Everything on the internet seems to focus on high rpm power for these engines. I'm only interested in the 500-2000 rpm range just now. I will have a variable displacement hydraulic pump driven off the crank and was even thinking about a hydraulic powered supercharger for low rpm boost. I'm also considering adding a turbo, partly for power and partly for noise reduction. The new injectors need to be sized to allow for a bit of boost. One thing I will struggle with any kind of forced induction is that because I wan't boost at low rpm any compressor will be out of its comfort zone going ten times faster. That's the point of this engine for me, something that can go from 500 to 5000 rpm. My lowest gear is about 90:1 so even the tiny amount of torque it makes at 500rpm coupled with a 25kg flywheel should take me over a tree stump with a 40" tyre. I'm not remotely interested in high rpm horsepower numbers.
It has two knock sensors I think I'll be relying on pretty heavily to start with.

The picture is how I did the pto for the crank pulley. It's an adapter ring turned to sit inside the pulley and is retained by four 8mm dowels and two further 8mm dowels to pin the pulley to the crank. I used the adapter as a drill guide to drill two 5/16" holes for the 8mm crank dowels. The flange face is just the same as a land rover flange on a transfer case or diff. I turned a groove and put a circlip and bolts in after this pic was taken to make it easier to use, the diameter of the inner part catches the bolt heads just like the regular flanges do to stop them turning. The crank bolt holds it together. On an LS engine, the crank pulley / harmonic damper is an interference fit only with no keyway so the extra pins I put in are to stop it turning on the crank when under load. The two pins are drilled half on the crank and half on the pulley.

IMG_1298.jpg

Jamie, a friend of mine used to clean, calibrate and test petrol fuel injectors as a business. His machine was rather straightforward and extremely accurate; he even found a dud injector on a Ford still in warranty.

I think if you contacted any one who is in the business of doing the same thing, they would be able to match your injectors to your satisfaction and probably be very helpful in providing information on the type to look for and what types of cars had them.

Try the breakers for used injectors,

Cheers Charlie

Thanks for explaining it. I don't honestly know where you get injectors from other than "off something at t'scrapyard" or from the parts book - RR supercharged bits perhaps?

Larger flow injectors makes idling harder not easier as it's about how quickly you can open & shut it, too large and you can't get fine enough control.

• 5 weeks later...

as a thought, rather than change injectors to match the plugs, why not change the plugs to match your existing injectors?

did this with my LS when I fitted my car intake & injectors, changing manifold & injectors soon & i'm intending on just replacing the 8 injector plugs on the loom

51 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

as a thought, rather than change injectors to match the plugs, why not change the plugs to match your existing injectors?

did this with my LS when I fitted my car intake & injectors, changing manifold & injectors soon & i'm intending on just replacing the 8 injector plugs on the loom

Cheers for the response.

Had I been going from truck to car injectors that would have made perfect sense but going from the ev1 car type to the mini truck type just doesn’t make sense as the injectors are apparently so small and feeble.

I ordered genuine bosch injectors from my local motor factors and will just go with whatever flow rate they have. Getting flow matched injectors was just a thought at the time but probably not worth the extra effort to find for my application.

Any more information on what you were building and thoughts on going to car manifold?

in the process of swapping from the LS1 intake to a TBSS intake which gives better lowdown torque & more flow at higher RPM than the LS1 manifold,

will be swapping from the EV1 connectors to I think EV6 plugs, might make some patch leads up till I decide what injectors to run with,