P38 compression test

boycie

Hi Folks my 4.6 Thor engined p38 has started to tick over lumpy and is down on power ,if you pull the plug leads on cylinders 3 and 5 it makes very little difference to the way the engine runs ,I’ve changed the plug leads and the coilpacks with some secondhand ones I had in the garage I’ve changed the plugs around but it’s still missing on cylinders 3 and 5 .I have ordered some  new coilpacks,leads and plugs but in the meantime I want to carry out a compression test ,does anyone know what pressure I should expect to see  from a healthy cylinder ?.

Edited by boycie

Well I got back early today so I carried out a compression test on the P38 I think I may have found the cause of the problem the results are as follows cylinder 1. 10.5 bar, cylinder 2. 10 bar, cylinder 3. 3.75 bar ,cylinder 4.  10.25 bar ,5.  4 bar, cylinder 6. 10.5 bar ,cylinder 7. 10.5 bar ,cylinder 8. 11bar , I think I may have a problem with the head gasket what do you think ?.

Thanks Bowie I thought it was ,I was like a dog with two tails when I saw those liners but I was not a hundred percent you have confirmed it for me .The heads look newish as well so I’ll take my time putting it back together, I have a Kent cam to go in it .

Did the head bolt and head surface survive the heat?

The tops of the heads look pretty grubby, as does the Valley. My guess is that is that it has had the top hat liner block for a while, and not had that many oil changes since. Good job on changing the cam, should wake things up a bit :)

What a lovely surprise! Have a good look for wear on the rockers and shafts, they're often worn with the cam. Worth checking if you've got a lovely new cam to go in it :)

Check the head for warpage with a straightedge too, just to be sure it's not that that caused the gasket failure. 

Spent the day grinding valves and changing valve stem oil seals the head is back on I’ll strip the other one tomorrow ,I don’t mind telling you it’s a bit hairy to say the least torquing the head down I said to Jackie make sure there is a clean pair of pants on standby I’ve got to go around another 90 degrees .

23FCB136-71E6-4FD3-95B2-E199C6F09067.jpeg

652DB583-54A5-43B0-B278-0E24DE545713.jpeg

7ACA784A-128D-4A5B-B5EB-CA4EC58FD8AC.jpeg

A88B3511-C700-4A9A-B967-C3D04A9A751C.jpeg

Hi Bowie every thing seems fine the head bolts seemed ok the head looks flat all the valves look good ,the only thing I could find not a 100% is the valve stem seal were hard ,so Iv replaced them  it’s a bit of a mystery to be honest .

On 5/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, boycie said:

Thanks Simon ,all your cylinders were that low what caused that ?.

Piston rings are stuck. I am going to strip the engine down do what you have to the top end and put new rings and hone the block. My block is a lovely golden colour in the valleys so I think it has been well looked after.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve done 30,000 miles in the car since I’ve had it Bowie ,I’m not disappointed with it really I only paid just over a grand for it 4 years ago and Jackie loves the thing which makes spending on it much less of a problem.