td5 turbo

Simon_CSK

Double trouble.

My last engine blew the turbo and ate the engine so I scourced another and fitted it and have done a few thousand miles. On Wednesday I was 6 miles from home and smelled burning, I stopped looked the car over, with the engine running, but couldn't find anything. Within about 20 yards I got smoke comming out of the gear lever and as I was at a junction of two major roads decided to keep going until I could park safely. As I pulled out of the junction the revs hit the ceiling so I turned the key and crashed the gearbox stalling the engine and rolled to a halt.

Was recovered home.

Yesterday I bought a second hand turbo from a reputable reseller and have just spent a couple of hours fitting it.

Started and ran fine made sure there was no funny noises and switched off. Repeated a couple of times and there reconnected all of the air intake.

Started it again and all of a sudden the revs hit the ceiling and there was a huge cloud of white smoke. Managed to jump in and stall again.

I have removed the air intake and checked the turbo, there is no play restarted and it ran fine and revved fine repeated a few time and all ok.

I have still to reconnect the air intake but I feel I am missing something. I don't really want to take it for a run until I know I have checked it thouroughly but would appreciate some ideas. My brother has suggested that I clean out the intercooler with petrol.

Help greatly appreciated.

18 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Make sure the intercooler is completely dry before refitting.

Thanks Mo

I had a spare Intercooler so have fitted that and dried out the pipes. Drove about 100 miles today and everything seems fine so hopefully now I can go back to sorting my Range Rover.

what ive done in the past is disconnect the intake pipe somewhere between the intercooler and the inlet manifold....drive it and the boost blows out all the oil.....messy but fast.  you do need a power washer though :)

2 hours ago, EeEk said:

what ive done in the past is disconnect the intake pipe somewhere between the intercooler and the inlet manifold....drive it and the boost blows out all the oil.....messy but fast.  you do need a power washer though :)

It has happened twice I hope for it never to happen again. Have been this PM to collect a V8 for my Rangie and have now covered 400 miles without an issue so I think I can safely say it is sorted.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mav

The oil must have been lying in the system. It only over revved the once and I caught it. \it seems to be behaving itself and is running quite sweetly. I have even managed improved MPG but that could be down to driving more slowly because I have a V8 block in the back.