Transfer box front flange

I need to change the front seal on the transfer box part number  FRC7043 as it looks like it has failed!?!

i know i need the Felt washer seal FRC2464 and i will get a new mud shield too FRC6121

My question is how do i lock/stop the shaft from turning when i undo the main nylock nut NY120041L???

• 11 months later...

Ok so it’s been a year 😂 

Hope you’re well. Doing my transfer box front output seal currently. Last year I replaced the flange and seal but it’s weeping again 🙄 I think it wasn’t in far enough. Does the seal go right up against the bearing? And if so, how did you get it seated? It’s a royal pain even using the hub spanner. 

Yes I remembered the wee felt washer, also soaked it in oil before fitting. Thinking about this overnight etc, I originally thought it should be pushed right against the bearing but then if I did that, it might be in too far and not seal against the flange properly? Allowing the oil to flow over the bearing and escape. Hmmmmm 🤔 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, ashtrans said:

Did you change the flange too ?

often the seal wears the flange so the new seal doesn’t seat properly 

New flange went in last year around October I think so it’s pretty new and not a lot of miles done. Seems all good now, sorry Mutley for the hi-jack.  I managed to seat the seal just inside the casing so it was “hanging” on sort of speak. Then slipped the flange on, felt washer, heavy duty washer and then nut. Slowly tightened up the nut and it pushed the seal in nicely. All tightened up and seems good. 

When lock down is over 🙏🏻 The next camping trip should be a good test for it.