Roof to windscreen bolt and other roof questions

I made a new gasket for mine when I did my roof.

I used some self adhesive closed cell foam (12mm wide & 3mm thick IIRC.) It seems to have worked well so far.

The roofs that I have fitted have had threads behind the hole, but the threads move around a little, so I guess it must be a nut plate. (M6)

Not sure how the nut plates are fitted, but I assume that they feed in from the front edge?

Edited by MR-HIPPO

The side fixing is the self tapping screw , make sure it’s the correct one or you’ll have a bugger getting it to screw up , don’t ask how I know ,  the middle fixings are a nut plate that slides into the channel on the roof then a m6 bolt goes through the windscreen frame into the roof can get a few pics tomorrow for you off my rebuild if you’d like ? Would do it now but I’ve been drinking wine as I’ve had my father over for Father’s Day and I’m just going to start another bottle hick :D:hysterical: .

Thanks Western.

So the early ones use M6 x25mm (these are the only ones I have come across)

And the later ones use No14 x 25mm self tapping screws, and a spire nut.

Anyone know what the M6 bolts screw into on the early ones?

I guess the changeover was around the same time as the 200TDI?

Thanks for all the responses. When working on the roof yesterday I found the remains of a very rusted 6m bolt and welded nut rattling up and down inside the chanel. I have still not managed to get it out and need to get my magnetic pointer in the channel to try and capture it. I have measured the holes and they are 8.5mm, so I am thinking of putting in a 6mm rivet nut which fits snuggly as I don't see that the screw option will work as the screw will be a bigger diameter than the windscreen holes.