Chassis and spring bushes - genuine or "other"

Gazzar

My first green lane experience has demonstrated that the spring and chassis bushes are knackered.

They are 8 years old and saw about 10,000 miles of use, but not genuine.

So, what do I replace with?

Do poly bushes last?

I'm not after any changes in comfort, I just hate doing chassis bushes!

I can't see poly bushes being much good for anything. They're never as compliant, and given that the chassis suffers from fatigue cracks around the bush holes, that isn't going to end well. There's also less support for the chassis as the poly bushes don't have the outer wrapper sat snug in the hole supporting it. 

Making up or borrowing a tool makes it a doddle changing the standard bushes. An acme screw from any old scissor jack and a piece of pipe and washer the right size are all you need. Burning the rubber out and messing with a hacksaw blade is not my idea of fun either! 

I would prefer genuine, but not genuine prices.

But probably worth it.

I need to raid the scrap bin for an acme bit of studding, I think.

Or just buy some? Then the nut becomes the issue. More thinking needed.

I have Polybush in my springs, but genuine metelastic bushes in the chassis - I don’t like the lack of outer steel sleeve of PU bushes and the lack of protection that affords the chassis or spring should the PU fail.  I also prefer the dust and grit exclusion that the interference fit of the metelastic bushes give.  I had to fit PU bushes to the springs due to a problem with a single spring eye (loose fit of metelastic bush) on advice from Heystee, and I can live with the perceived risk to the springs, but not the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...