Smacking sound in drive train then a brief pull to the right in steering then a grinding sound

Morning chaps,

I got in the car this morning (2002 TD5) and started driving and soon after I hear a periodic smacking/clunking sound as if something attached to the wheel was hitting the underside of the car. the sound then suddenly stopped and the car then  violently drifted to the right and then felt as if the front right tire was flat, so I pulled over and saw the tire was absolutely fine. I started driving again slowly and there was low grinding noise coming from somewhere in the drive train when in gear and coasting in neutral.

My guess is the front right half shaft or wheel bearings have gone? On Monday I'm borrowing a mates lift so I'll be able to spin the wheels to try and find out where the sound is coming from. 

Any insight in the meanwhile is much is appreciated.