Fog lamp wiring query

Gazzar

As said above, these sorts of regs are never retrospective - seat belts and indicator lights are more safety critical than ensuring a fog lamp is usable while main beam is active, and yet there have been no changes forcing older vehicles to have seat belts or indicators retrofit.

I agree with you, Gary,  that stringent MoTs are a good thing, but selective or incorrect interpretation of regulations is not stringent, it’s just wrong.  If he can’t apply this rule correctly, then what else is he getting wrong?

• Like 1

I've read the manual, he's correct. Wrong, but correct.

The hazards would fail on my truck, as it takes a while for both sides to work, but they aren't tested, as that only applies after 1984(ish), but there is no scope in the manual for age for fog lamps, after 1980, they must be an all the time.

We'll see if he fails the fog lamps for going out when the side lights are off, in an hour or so.

The DVSA have referred my query to the vehicle regulations team.

I know, I know, if I go to another garage, I'll get it passed, but I sort of trust this guy.  He's a jobsworth, but he's honest.

And if the DVSA come back in my favour, I can educate him.

Actually, the DVSA have come back, and I'm even more confused.

"Rear fog lamps are commonly wired so they can only work when the headlamps are on. This is logical as you wouldn’t need to use a rear fog lamp unless visibility was seriously impaired, in which case you should have the headlamps on."

I don't know if that means main beam or dipped beam, or both. A good beak could argue for any of these scenarios. 

And the user of the word "can" gives a lot of wriggle room.

I've asked for clarification.

I'm impressed by their responsiveness, though, so full credit to them.

6 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Actually, the DVSA have come back, and I'm even more confused.

"Rear fog lamps are commonly wired so they can only work when the headlamps are on. This is logical as you wouldn’t need to use a rear fog lamp unless visibility was seriously impaired, in which case you should have the headlamps on."

I don't know if that means main beam or dipped beam, or both. A good beak could argue for any of these scenarios. 

And the user of the word "can" gives a lot of wriggle room.

I've asked for clarification.

I'm impressed by their responsiveness, though, so full credit to them.

Well, that statement contradicts the one the tester showed you about no lamps being allowed to affect others.  So, The authorities don’t know what they’re doing and are confusing testers at cost to owners.

I'd have though adversely affected meant things like putting the brakes on cause it to dim, or the indicators made it flash - you know - usual bad earth problems which make it look as its haunted.

As a matter of interest I checked my 03 Focus estate last night - and the fog light operates on both main and dip beam