2.4 TDCi Overhaul

My roof project should be done in a few weeks and after this the Landy will be pulled into the workshop for the internal build to begin.

At this point, i want to start getting intimate with the engine as it's due some TLC.

I have noticed when she's cold recently that she is a little ' rattly '.

I've always had some smoke until she warms up properly ( from picking her up 2 years ago 146k ) but other than this, she has been faultless so far.

History is, 150k mileage with regular oil changes ( service record ) and no issues.  I did it's last oil and filter change about 1.6k ago.

I also removed the aircon and replaced the injector seals at the same time.

I want to change the timing chain as i believe it's due to be done ( no record of having been done )

Whilst i'm in there doing the chain, it would be good to look into something which i noticed today.

This weekend just gone, i did a good run upto wales and back ( 500 miles ) with no issues but when i went to leave work i noticed the exhaust outlet was black and oily ( see pic ).  The caribener is used to attach dog leads to when we're loading them in and out of the back of the landy and they've always been lightly 'smoked' but it is now black.  The engine does get to temperature to and from current work site.

IMG_0594.JPG.cd3459d7614a3f6d595e9ea7568b0988.JPGIMG_0595.JPG.d296af7a35d10c6b9229f7e3b0c8b7da.JPG

So what else should i be looking at whilst the engine has my full attention?  I would like to eliminate the smoking on start up and get to the bottom of the black oily exhaust.

Any advice or directions to look in would be most welcome.

Check the glow plugs fuse ->

attachment.php?attachmentid=96933&d=1305

It's a know problem that the glow plug wire shorts with the steel diesel line and blows the fuse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96932&d=1305

I had the same, but it's hard to notice, the glow plug indicator comes on as normal and goes off per normal after a few seconds, it's just a 'dumb' light, it doesn't check if the glow plugs work, resulting in smoke on start-up for a few minutes. I checked the glow plugs fuse, it was blown, replaced it, secured the glow plug wire and it starts perfect now without smoke!

Edited by Koen110
  • Thanks 1

I would have a browse of the Transit forum to look for other common prblems to look out for whilst you are there. There are hundreds of thousands of very well abused 2.4 Transits out there now so I am sure there will be some experience of what to look out for

• Like 1

Glow plug fuses are fine, although i found about 10mm of water sloshing around in the seat box, but that's another job to sort at some point!

I've already infiltrated some transit forums...not as bad as Landyzone on a friday evening, but coming close in some areas :D

My thoughts were the turbo as i can't see where else oil could get to the rear of the exhaust, although it is worrying it's there!

When the timing chain is ready to be done, i may whip the head off as it's in a state of undressing somewhat, and it can't hurt to get a peek at the cylinders and bores.

Valve stem oil seal  but I dont think it would get to the rear of the exhaust and no dought it got a cat and a dpf . I was thinking steam making the soot look oily  . It cant be soot if it got a dpf or has it I dont know , just ideas