Interesting!?!

Well I have just replaced the rear brake calipers on the 300Tdi 90!......

Now admittedly it's been 18mths since I last did anything with them ie change pads. But then I don't do the mileage.

I can honestly say whenever I work on the motor it is ALWAYS interesting!?! It never fails to amaze me how a simple job can evolve into a total @#$&¥%€ time consuming experience!?!?!?!

From a small rust @#$&¥%€ nut to a seized soft @#$&¥%€ metal brake pipe union, to the on set of old age and forgetting where I put certain special @#$&¥%€ tools supposedly to make @#$&¥%€ life easier!?!

So having overcome every conceivable @#$&¥%€ obstacle that could fall my way I happy to say I have completed yet another @#$&¥%€ INTERESTING job on the LR!!!

46 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Well I have just replaced the rear brake calipers on the 300Tdi 90!......

Now admittedly it's been 18mths since I last did anything with them ie change pads. But then I don't do the mileage.

I can honestly say whenever I work on the motor it is ALWAYS interesting!?! It never fails to amaze me how a simple job can evolve into a total @#$&¥%€ time consuming experience!?!?!?!

From a small rust @#$&¥%€ nut to a seized soft @#$&¥%€ metal brake pipe union, to the on set of old age and forgetting where I put certain special @#$&¥%€ tools supposedly to make @#$&¥%€ life easier!?!

So having overcome every conceivable @#$&¥%€ obstacle that could fall my way I happy to say I have completed yet another @#$&¥%€ INTERESTING job on the LR!!!

Mutts, you need 3 things.

1. an old anvil

2. a big hammer

3. a cold beer

when things arent going well, BEFORE you burst that blood vessel in your eye, take the big hammer and hit the old anvil HARD, then sit down and slowly enjoy your beer, you will find things work much better and often you will even manage to find the "certain special @#$&¥%€ tools"

• Like 3

@bodumatau...... This sounds like a plan!?!

God knows both dogs have learnt that air filled with language unsuitable for grownups let alone children usually is followed by a well placed kick at the nearest living thing! Hence they don't show themselves for several days after, even the stupid one of the two is wise to this situation!?!

Then if I have enough cold beers before I start at least this will aid in the numbness of knuckles being smashed against axles, chassis, brake calipers and the likes!

Now where's that @#$&¥%€ HAMMER!!!

The first ever job I did on my 110 went like this:

A mate told me one of the brake lights wasn't working so I got a new bulb. 5 minute job in my mind. 

Went to the light unit and it was all corroded and brittle plastic. No bother, I got a new unit. 10 minute job. 

Fitted the new unit and then "pop" lost electrical power to the entire rear of the truck by blowing many fuses. 

I must have made a silly mistake wiring the new unit in place. So revisited my connections and tried again. Pop, the fuses went again.

The end of a long investigation found a chared loom from when someone welded the chassis. I had clearly disturbed it when replacing the light and earthed most of the live wires. This took me ages to find out. But I did get a working brake light! 

• Haha 1

I once had to replace the rear discs on Discovery 4. Everything went fine until i got to that little grub screw that keeps the disc on to the hub. Couldn't get the bu**er moving for love nor money and in the end had to use a breaker bar. I got overly excited when it started to move and nipped the soft pad of my thumb in the breaker bar hinge. I'm not an emotional man but i'll admit that i almost cried. Cue lots of blood and a 3 day break from mechanics until i had the patience to finish the job.