Truck cab rear window runners?

Chicken Drumstick

I'd like to recommission the rear sliding window on my truck cab, the runner like the stock door window runners is heavily corroded and distorted.

Does anyone offer a non rusting material runner as a replacement? Many many years ago I bought some plastic runners for the door tops from, I think the Series Owners club. You had to cut them to length, but worked well. And of course didn't deteriorate like the stock felt/metal ones do. I know have Rocky Mountain door tops and they also use a plastic/rubbery plastic runner set. I'm assuming this type of runner would work on the rear sliding window too.

I've seen a few for sale, e.g.

https://www.paddockspares.com/2005btc-window-channel-truck-cab.html

Or ebay. But none say what material they are.

WooliesTrim.co.uk do various window channels without steel inserts.  I found that the normal steel backed channel lasts well if you apply a generous dollop of waxoil to the cut ends and screw holes, or any other breach in the rubber coating.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I did indeed. I used the plastic runners from the Series Owners Club. Let me see if I can find a link. 

I found this thread using google and did not notice it was in the Series forum not the Defender forum. I need to replace them in my 1994 110 which I presume is totally different?

4 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I found this thread using google and did not notice it was in the Series forum not the Defender forum. I need to replace them in my 1994 110 which I presume is totally different?

Yes I think they are. But not 100% sure. 

The rear side windows are different as I did the runners in my 1989 Ninety last year too but not sure about the rear truck cab window not sure if it is like a Series window or like the Ninety rear side windows.

Here is a link anyway to the Series Runners: https://clubshop.thelandroverclub.co.uk/window-channel-14-c.asp

If is like the 90 rear side windows this might be of help. 

• Thanks 1

I used the series club plastic runners for my truck cab rear window but I found that they don’t butt up against each other in the same way that the originals did which means there is a slight gap between the two sliding glass panes that the rubber seal doesn’t bridge. In practice it’s fine but just one to look out for. I glued mine in with silicone rather than drilling. A bit fiddly but it works.

• Thanks 1