Rusty Stainless

Blanco

This was my first attempt ar TIG welding a few weeks ago, ... where I had replaced all the timber on the brother-in-laws fishing boat the new transom in hardwood was quite a bit thinner than the old one and I tried to tidy up the S/S panel where the outboard sits, it wasn't a great demonstration of TIG technique but it got the job done.

As he hasn't been out since the lockdown started, the boat is still sitting at the back of my place and I just noticed this morning that the S/S panel is going a bit rusty, now I know that the pipework lads use an acid gel to get rid of discolouration, and I dare say the flap wheel I used may have been contaminated, but this is way worse than anything I was expecting, I would like to clean it up a bit ...... what to do for the best? any thoughts please?

IMG_20200420_103033.thumb.jpg.9b36bba69b27a87ae0a667ba861f781c.jpg

Problem is you get different grades of stainless steel and the cheaper ones do dust and that looks more than a bit of contamination I would recommend cleaning up with a flap disc and then painting over with a couple of coats of clear lacquer regards Stephen

That bit actually hails from Sheffield about 60 odd years ago and has been recycled a few times, I think the quality was all there once, it is just what I have done to it, I guess lacquer of some sort is the answer, I wondered what the acid base of the gel they use is and whether any other household chemical might clean it up?

16 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Descaler? 

I'd be a bit anxious it might mess up the paint, I think I will just buff it up and apply some yacht varnish, (not having any lacquer as such), that should last a while, by which time hopefully he'll have it back and it won't be my problem:ph34r:

Only certain grades of stainless stay shiny - 316 AKA "medical" grade is the common one, it's not that the other grades are "cheap" they just all have different properties, some grades are a barsteward to machine or don't like being welded etc. etc.

Well it stayed pretty good apart from physical abuse until I welded it, for 20 odd years it had been shiny so always assumed it was 316 or maybe 'marine' grade. Interesting that the corner brackets also in the pic were welded at the same time by a friend, they are 304 and they seem much less affected?? (mind you they are 6mm thick and he wasn't chasing holes all the time!😄)