Heater cable/ valve springing back

neilc

About 18 months ago I fitted a new heater valve its been a problem ever since ( not a major issue ) , every time I switch lever from cold to hot or reverse it springs back , I have taken the cable out , removed it from surround and oiled it , it moves freely in the surround to the point that I can totally take cable out and feed it back in freely , the valve also moves fully by hand with ease  , however if you connect the cable to the valve its as if there is resistance and when you push the lever down it springs back up.

I have adjusted the cable so that it does reach extremes , on/off when assisted by hand however cannot undersand what the problem is , can anyone offer any advice , it appreciate it , thanks 

10 minutes ago, neilc said:

About 18 months ago I fitted a new heater valve its been a problem ever since ( not a major issue ) , every time I switch lever from cold to hot or reverse it springs back , I have taken the cable out , removed it from surround and oiled it , it moves freely in the surround to the point that I can totally take cable out and feed it back in freely , the valve also moves fully by hand with ease  , however if you connect the cable to the valve its as if there is resistance and when you push the lever down it springs back up.

I have adjusted the cable so that it does reach extremes , on/off when assisted by hand however cannot undersand what the problem is , can anyone offer any advice , it appreciate it , thanks 

Is the cable sheath kinked or damaged at some point between the lever and the valve? This could cause the inner cable to bind so check the run of the cable to make sure it’s not being bent at an awkward angle behind the dash.

Could also be the valve is seized, so when the cable is trying to push the valve arm, it’s just bending and then springs back.  Could also be the orientation of the valve or the cable end causing the same thing, binding and bending instead of moving the arm.

New valve I think ? I do it like this : set to hot on dash control , loosen pinch screw on inner cable at valve , ensure valve is fully open , set dash control at a bit less than full travel to hot -around 4/5th say , clamp pinch bolt to inner cable .

Give it a try , the problem is related to the outer sheath stretching when trying to open the valve , some of the new replacements have a stiff point at either end of the lever action , a bit of grease in the slot helps .

I'm assuming the cable is a single stiff wire inner ?

It also helps to have the outer sheath clamped to the valve plate so the arm almost touchs it at fully closed , minimising the exposed inner wire - less room for it to bend

cheers

Steve b

• 2 weeks later...