Anyone fitted a roof tent

Cornish Rattler

Anything can go there but you need to ask yourself if you really want to do that.

It is a lot of weight and high up.

Are you looking at a hard shell or fold open ?

20 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Anything can go there but you need to ask yourself if you really want to do that.

It is a lot of weight and high up.

Are you looking at a hard shell or fold open ?

Hi Arjan

Probably a fold open one as the hard shell ones look a bit expensive as I would need a roof rack as well 

Depends on the hardshell.

I've used both.

But for 2, hardshells are somewhat small usu.

3 FamousFour roofbars make a good support for a hardshell

Using a roofrack as a base adds kilo's at an height you least want it..

afbeelding.png.9a15b3ef487f987b0f99a0f3d1d46345.png

This rooftent is 105 kgs.

afbeelding.png.3ece743678cab6526db3049a927fc9c1.png

A hardshell is different

afbeelding.png.c80dc248dc9d461903ce79fca2440ea9.png

On the 110 we used it on a Brownchurh - on the Series with 3 Famous Four roof carriers (Can't access pics on the Server from here)

I very much like the hardshell as it allows me to leave the bedding in there - something I never mastered with the fold out types..

On 5/16/2020 at 4:58 PM, Eightpot said:

Most roof tents can be fitted to just a pair of good quality roof bars, no need for a full rack.  If you do go for a rack, avoid one with sides, a flat rack is far better. 

Yeah once we can all go out as normal I will start looking :)

A bit late for 88 owners, but with a 109, no need to bother with such things. Nice, but there's never a return on investment.  If it's for 6-7 days away, a few bits of board across, and those inflatable mattresses fit well.

Hence: Camping-kit stores under the boards/and or trailer. Best of of all, because there's often no better place to store it, we're not caught with half the kit still atop the leafer in Feb. We don't give the rest, a bad name, with justified mockery as the stereo-typical "Seen Crocodile-Dundee once too often"  ocean-going w&*^%$r.

Yep, no tent to store, no total-eclipse roof-rack, and assuming we're going to buy the bed anyway, and a few bits of board knocking around, with those inflatable beds being so cheap, job's done for £15.

Anything else, and small children point.

Edited by Landrover17H