Useful metal sizes to get?

mad_pete

I don’t have any bins I can raid so I need to buy in some metal. I need some box section for some seat rails so I might as well get a few other bits as well. What else is useful size and grades for general Land Rover and bracketing ? 

Most useful I've had is 20x20 box. Other stuff I've had is massively oversized because I used to go raiding Pyramid Steel in Aldershot when I lived in Surrey. Good source of inch plus thick plate.

• Thanks 1

It's probably not worth paying for it but if you can have a trip somewhere don't underestimate the value of large lumps of steel for whacking stuff against.

I picked up a couple of I beams and a load of box section off cuts (said offcuts were 4ft long and 150x6mm box). The I beams I find very handy as straight edges for plasma cutting. They're heavy enough you don't need to clamp them.

The big plates are useful as stackers for the press etc.

40 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Yeah, random big heavy lumps are very useful for work holding when measuring / cutting / welding but you can't buy 'em like that unless you're loaded, just got to look for likely offcuts / scrap.

Or you have access to quite a bit of heavy scrap /offcuts ie for anvil making  or a temporary marking out type table that I'm in the process of building to set up my portal axles on, I'm not complaining as I am lucky to be in an offcut rich environment