Which Is Stronger?

Tonk

i sleeved both my drag link and track rod in 6mm wall-thickness stainless tube, its a standard size available from most industrial metal stockholders (got mine from IMS) just chop to length and slide over the existing rod.

its REALY strong, and much cheaper than the dan bar, sumo bar things.....

they'll be up for sale in about 6 weeks, £4,000 with a free 1995 110 hardtop........ B) :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Flippin' eck! Threads drop down the pages like a lead balloon! So, I'll drag this back from page 5, cos I finally got around to actually doing something. Nearly.

But...! I've been a muppet - I can do some calcs of relative bar strengths if someone can supply the following info:

1. I measured the O/D of my Sumo bar (about 28.5mm), but I forgot the inside measurment (oh - yes, to an earlier comment, it IS tube!). It is sized to accept the regular track rod end - anyone know a rough diameter for the thread of this?

2. Anyone know the dimensions of the standard track rod? Wall thickness and O/D.

3. Anyone know the distance between one track rod end, the centre of the diff housing and the other track rod end - so I can do some calcs to see the benefit of supporting the bar at the diff as in the piccy above.

4. Does anyone have the Dan bar measurments?

Dammit - I got all prepared to do this, sat down, and then realised I didn't have any useful data!

Doh. Answers on a postcard. Al. :rolleyes:

1. I measured the O/D of my Sumo bar (about 28.5mm), but I forgot the inside measurment (oh - yes, to an earlier comment, it IS tube!). It is sized to accept the regular track rod end - anyone know a rough diameter for the thread of this?

2. Anyone know the dimensions of the standard track rod? Wall thickness and O/D.

3. Anyone know the distance between one track rod end, the centre of the diff housing and the other track rod end - so I can do some calcs to see the benefit of supporting the bar at the diff as in the piccy above.

4. Does anyone have the Dan bar measurments?

Dammit - I got all prepared to do this, sat down, and then realised I didn't have any useful data!

Doh. Answers on a postcard. Al. :rolleyes:

I can help with track rod end diam. but not until this evening if I remeber :blink: . On old LRE forum the size should be obtainable asthere was a thread about left hand taps. And also with 2. again tonight as I have two spare.

As for 3, it will be at least twice as strong if the rod is approximately half the length plus maybe mnre as it is probably is non-linear.

We await we baited breath!!!

B)

tre O/D 17.3 mm

Thread pitch is 1.65 mm; toe in 1.2-2.4 mm so even with twin RH threaded TRE you will be at most 0.45 mm out

measured 22.4 mm on a newly painted track rod so doesn' t have 15 layers of hammerite, waxoyl etc.

wall thickness 3.5 mm. Note wall thickness measured where the thread begins; there is a bout 30 mm at the end that is opened out with no thread.

17.3 mm.

Rememberered!; from centre of tre to centre of crown wheel in diff it is 17 and 29 inches (convert to units of your choice)