RTC6351G - O/S/F Wing - made by Britpart or Land Rover

Woody3

I'm after a new wing (side panel only) for my Ninety.  RTC6351G seems to be the correct part number (without vent - I will need to drill an hole for the side repeater).

Anyway, I thought the 'G' stood for 'Genuine', but it appears not, with many sites stating OEM by Britpart.  Did Britpart make them for LR?

No. G is just a suffix used by aftermarket suppliers to denote an ‘OEM’ supplier. It doesn’t mean a genuine part. Some parts are no longer available from Land Rover, or are now of a lower quality, leaving only the aftermarket to supply.

If you order the part number without the G from Land Rover (either direct or via a parts reseller) you will get the genuine part - assuming it’s still available.

If you order the ‘OEM’ one with the G suffix then you may get the very same part at a cheaper price, or it may be something completely different. Unfortunately there is no guarantee as the term OEM has no real fixed meaning. Many people will tell you it means a genuine part in a different box - while this is sometimes the case it more often is not, generally to be classed as OEM the part just has to have been fitted to any given vehicle by any given manufacturer at any given time.

Ah - why do they have to make it more complicated than necessary!  Thanks for clarifying James anyway.

I did find a set of genuine wings on ebay, ex military though.  See here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-RIGHT-HAND-FRONT-OUTER-WING-DRIVERS-FRONT-NO-VENT-RTC6351/224150027632?hash=item343061fd70:g:C7QAAOSw1PpfV-e6

s-l1600.jpg

Is it me or are the spot welds quite pronounced?

Edited by Woody3

OEM means little in terms of accuracy, as James said.  It stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, so should be made by the same company as the parts LR used, but it doesn’t mean the same spec or even the same country of manufacture, let alone factory or line.  It’s a bit of a con, and the Britpart “G” suffix stuff is mostly just as useless as their other stuff.  It would be much better for the customer if there was a suffix denoting matching spec and quality to the original parts, regardless of who made it.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:07 PM, Woody3 said:

Ah - why do they have to make it more complicated than necessary!  Thanks for clarifying James anyway.

I did find a set of genuine wings on ebay, ex military though.  See here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-RIGHT-HAND-FRONT-OUTER-WING-DRIVERS-FRONT-NO-VENT-RTC6351/224150027632?hash=item343061fd70:g:C7QAAOSw1PpfV-e6

s-l1600.jpg

Is it me or are the spot welds quite pronounced?

All the later defender models the spots where more pronounced,  due to thinner skin material I belive. It doesn't look quite so bad once painted.