help

manic

• 1 month later...
Ask Chris (username GBMUD) about buying a cheap diesel Freelander....

If you buy from a auction what do you expect......

We bought a 2.0d freelander S reg with 105k on the clock for £2750 from a Citron Dealer its a good cheap run about with a FSH.

she has done about 4k since we got it and were happy with it.

She has private plates on it and all her coleeges with there BMW's and TT's still refure to it as a nice car would thay say that about a sheddy old Disco 300tdi. I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

That would depend if the vehicle was a shed in the first place, so hardly a valid comment to make. If you particulalrly want a Freelander, then make the necessary checks as to the vehicles history. Perhaps the engine has had the latest gasket/shim/and lower rail fitted, in which case head gasket failure will no longer be an issue.

Les.

hi all , wife wants a freelander and has up to 4 grand ! need lots of advice as heard horror stories about head gaskets etc , would be grateful for any help

A local dealer (non LR) had a nice looking diesel (pre td4 I seem to recall) in for around 4.5 K when I was out and about looking at Discoveries for my daughters (now ex!!) boyfriend last week.

That is 'till you got close up to it - can't remember the reg. but I was amazed at how much corrosion there was under various window rubbers. It was very reminiscent of my old 300 tdi Discovery and the same problems that had. Not sure if this is common but certainly something to carefully check for.

Also FWIW my neighbor had a diesel Freelander (again pre td4) and he was for ever under the ruddy thing. Don't know if he was fussy and just liked messing about with it but he always seemed to be under the damn thing with his tools.

Also don't forget the transmission problems.....common to both pertol and diesel versions.

Apart from that they're a great car..... :huh: :huh:

Not being funny but if she has 4K to spend I would suggest there are better more reliable 'soft roaders' out there at that sort of price.

Just my two cents worth.

That would depend if the vehicle was a shed in the first place, so hardly a valid comment to make. If you particulalrly want a Freelander, then make the necessary checks as to the vehicles history. Perhaps the engine has had the latest gasket/shim/and lower rail fitted, in which case head gasket failure will no longer be an issue.

Les.

In the Bank manager Carpark world a 300tdi Disco is a car used for lanching the Ark as far as that lot is concerned where as a little freelander is a nice little wifes car which is why my wife is happy with her's.

disco's look much older than Freelanders :ph34r:

(she is baggering me for a D2 ES Premium though)