Wiper conundrum

I am just finishing off a Wheels up restoration of a 1986 90 V8. New brush set for the wiper motor arrived today which i was hoping would let me finish off and seal up the dash. Brush set fitted and motor works as you’d hope but for some reason when you turn the wipers off they return to the top (vertically) rather than horizontally. Completely flummoxed. New wiring harness, new stop switch and new brush set. Not sure it would make a difference but could I have set the rotor wheel 180 out or is it a polarity issue somewhere? Is there a different stop switch for LHD that I have bought by accident? Any ideas or solutions most welcome. Thanks

Thanks All. Problem solved!! I must have put the rotor assembly back incorrectly after I had overhauled it. Turns out there are two ways to adjust the park setting on the wipers to L or RHD. First is to spin the wheel boxes in the bulkhead as you suggested @snagger but if you got that wrong when refitting them (if you have done a bulkhead swap or wiper resto) it would probably be obvious to the naked eye as the routing for the drive cable would be all wrong. The second way and the correct way is to the open up the motor body (cover plate on the side), remove the rotor assembly ( c clip on the outside of the assembly holding the shaft in, drive or wiggle the shaft out  and then spin the plastic drive cog on the rotor assembly 180. There are keys in the cog and rotor assembly to allow you to do precisely this. This is how Land Rover set the Vehicles to L or RHD as the wiper motor, stop switch etc don't have L or RHD part numbers. Obviously if you switch between L or RHD set up (don't know why you would do this!)  you would need the correct wiper arms as they are cranked different ways accordingly. Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

The third way is to remove the wiper arm from the spindle and adjust on the splines to your desired park position!

Steve

I don't think this would work if it parks at the top of the sweep and you reposition the arms to the bottom as the wiper starts to move it will try to pull the arms into the bonnet. 

52 minutes ago, ballcock said:

I don't think this would work if it parks at the top of the sweep and you reposition the arms to the bottom as the wiper starts to move it will try to pull the arms into the bonnet. 

Well, maybe, but if with the wipers removed and you switch them on the spindles are moving anti-clockwise and clockwise then you know the wiper mechanicals are working. If the park switch is working too then I don't see why you can't move your wipers to the desired position and it should work fine!

Steve

12 hours ago, ballcock said:

Yep, this is correct.