Exhaust Sleeve

geoffbeaumont

I need to get my hands on some tubing (mild steel or stainless) to join the headers of the 'new' exhaust to the Y section, as I had to saw the sleeve joints off the Y piece to remove it from the donor truck. It needs to be 44mm / 1.75" inside diameter.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding anything suitable - most of the suitable pipe specifies only outside diameter which I don't care too much about, and I don't know of any bricks and mortars suppliers round here that I can just walk into and start measuring things.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that'll do the job, or even better does someone have a offcut lying around that they'd part with for a few beer tokens? I only need about a foot of it.

Have you tried the local exhaust shop? They may even have something in their scrap bin you can use.

That had occurred to me - ideally I'd rather use a decent bit of new metal rather than a lump of rust, though. It may end up being the only route - I've no idea whether the size I'm after is at all standard, so the stretched outer sleeve on an exhaust section might be the only place to get that inner diameter.

have you got a local powerflow/boy racer exhaust place? they're usually good for a blag

There's got to be one somewhere in Brum...plenty of their clientele around... :lol:

Just cos it's in their scrap bin doesn't mean it's old and rusty. Off cuts.

I thought there was a Longlife place in brum but just check and it seems not, although like you say there must be plenty of places about as there's a market for it.

Just cos it's in their scrap bin doesn't mean it's old and rusty. Off cuts.

I thought there was a Longlife place in brum but just check and it seems not, although like you say there must be plenty of places about as there's a market for it.

All the places round my way are regular tyre and exhaust shops, not fabricators, so anything in their bins will be used. If I can find a fabricator that would definitely be worth a try, but again all the 'performance exhaust' places I know of just sell off the shelf big bore well cool mega turbo innit type stuff.

I've got off-cuts of exhaust pipe tubing from when I was botchingskillfully fabricating the exhaust on catflap and other jobs, Geoff.

What size pipe are you after?

I need to get my hands on some tubing (mild steel or stainless)... It needs to be 44mm / 1.75" inside diameter... I only need about a foot of it.

Honestly, some people just never read before they post... :P:ph34r:

Pop down to ATS or any exhaust factor and they will be able to supply what you need. IIRC, each successive size of plain exhaust tube fits snugly outside the next. It usually comes in 2m lengths but most places will sell you a meter.

Chris

Pop down to ATS or any exhaust factor and they will be able to supply what you need. IIRC, each successive size of plain exhaust tube fits snugly outside the next. It usually comes in 2m lengths but most places will sell you a meter.

Chris

Cheers - I'll pop in this evening if I get home in time and give them a try.