Diff Center Change - Question

Gremlin

Hi All

Time for me to ask the collective wisdom of this group. 

Going to install a 4 pin 24 spline center. Now am i right in assuming that if i do not disturb the pinion, all i need to do is re-adjust the backlash?

Let me know if i am wrong..........

Cheers

Grem

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I recently have rebuilt the front diff and LT230, and have noticed several times that new bearings result in differences. I had to replace the pinion so I couldn't compare the effect of new bearings. However, measurements changed in the LT230 which is quite a comparable situation given the fact it also has tapered bearings.

Make sure to properly loctite the crown wheel bolts with loctite 270. I also used allen bolts with Nordlock rings. The Land Rover bolts (FTC5150) tend to 'eat' their way into the steel, resulting in play and eventually breakage. This was the reason for abovementioned rebuild (Td5 100k miles, after a holiday with lots of corrugations).

Greetings,

Joris

A replacement set of bearings with the same numbers from the same manufacturer should work, but there are different spec bearings that fit the same internal and external diameters which may have different depths, and I wouldn’t be sure that the same bearing numbers from different manufacturers are identical.  But as I said, you’d need to check the pinion depth on completion to be sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...