P38 Diesel Oil Cooler

Bigj66

My oil cooler is part number PBC000020 (P38 after YA4455076) and the two connecting hoses are listed in the parts book as PBP500260 and PBP500270.

I ordered two of the PBP500260 pipes as I just need the two cooler side female ends for my project. When they arrived they came with M18 female threaded nuts and not the M22 ones that the cooler has.

There’s no sign of any adapter between the two in the parts manual.

Can any P38 owners shed any light on the correct parts that I need?

22 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I'll have a quick look under mine in a minute, but my parts book has PBC000020 as diesel manual cooler, and the corresponding pipes as PBH101750 and 760???

Cheers I’ve not come across those hose numbers before so I’ll check 👍

Right, excuse the slight delay, your pic had me scratching my bonce.... went back out and realised I had been ooking at the transmission cooler! so investigated a bit further and this is my engine oil cooler, tucked in between the intercooler and the condenser

IMG_20201031_151907.thumb.jpg.c6595c34467ceeb39a3433af7de2dc62.jpg

I did try and get the caliper in there but its pretty congested, I made two guages out of plastic and I am fairly sure its 22mm rather than 20mm.

rigid pipes are a shade under 17mm. Both fittings are on the LH side of the vehicle and the unit.

21 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Right, excuse the slight delay, your pic had me scratching my bonce.... went back out and realised I had been ooking at the transmission cooler! so investigated a bit further and this is my engine oil cooler, tucked in between the intercooler and the condenser

IMG_20201031_151907.thumb.jpg.c6595c34467ceeb39a3433af7de2dc62.jpg

I did try and get the caliper in there but its pretty congested, I made two guages out of plastic and I am fairly sure its 22mm rather than 20mm.

rigid pipes are a shade under 17mm. Both fittings are on the LH side of the vehicle and the unit.

Do you have any details of your vehicle that you can share via PM that might allow me to narrow down the search to find a part number?

I've had a look at the partscat and through memory lane 😉 to see if I could find anything useful.

There are indeed 2 types of cooler, before YA (with several superceding part numbers) and from YA on. But the pipes should be the same, PBP500260 and PBP500270. The O-rings in the connections are all the same, so size/thread should be the same on both coolers. Could the cooler you have be an aftermarket one? I don't have a late P38 in at the moment, but could ask to have a look at a mates.

Filip

2 hours ago, Escape said:

I've had a look at the partscat and through memory lane 😉 to see if I could find anything useful.

There are indeed 2 types of cooler, before YA (with several superceding part numbers) and from YA on. But the pipes should be the same, PBP500260 and PBP500270. The O-rings in the connections are all the same, so size/thread should be the same on both coolers. Could the cooler you have be an aftermarket one? I don't have a late P38 in at the moment, but could ask to have a look at a mates.

Filip

It aftermarket in that I bought it from Bearmach but I’m pretty sure it’s correct as Blanco has the same on his. 

LR must have made an earlier version of that pipe but if they are no longer available and have been superseded with the M18 version then why are Bearmach still selling them? 🤷‍♂️

I’ll need to call them tomorrow and find out.

This is mine with a brand new PBP500260 pipe against it. The rigid pipe and seal fit inside okay but the nut is just too small 🙈

D1DAEBBC-E978-42B6-AF7A-FFD816CFD113.jpeg.d75abdbd866b808f2c7bff9319a3fef5.jpeg

To add to the sum of info on the engine loom I have two pics showing the layout for the diesel,

954723783_Engineloom.jpg.3a54197faa372f0ccad73045d7b8bdaa.jpg

Main engine loom emerges from the FIP, down on the RH side of the block as viewed, under the inlet manifold, crosses the engine on the support at the front and goes through a large grommet into the ECU box, it terminates in the large rectangular clip on connector that mates to the ECU.

797066511_DieselECU.thumb.jpg.186533aa68ee34071f9b8aeaaf7a9915.jpg

Close up of the top of the ECU connection, it just lifts out of its box, normally held under a screw down cover.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

To add to the sum of info on the engine loom I have two pics showing the layout for the diesel,

954723783_Engineloom.jpg.3a54197faa372f0ccad73045d7b8bdaa.jpg

Main engine loom emerges from the FIP, down on the RH side of the block as viewed, under the inlet manifold, crosses the engine on the support at the front and goes through a large grommet into the ECU box, it terminates in the large rectangular clip on connector that mates to the ECU.

797066511_DieselECU.thumb.jpg.186533aa68ee34071f9b8aeaaf7a9915.jpg

Close up of the top of the ECU connection, it just lifts out of its box, normally held under a screw down cover.

Definitely different to what I have here, cheers 👍

1 hour ago, Bigj66 said:

Definitely different to what I have here, cheers 👍

954723783_Engineloom.jpg.3a54197faa372f0The picture is one of the later versions, with a black plastic inlet manifold that conducted less of the high underbonnet temperature into the air being fed to the cylinder head. The earlier inlet manifolds were cast aluminium.
The manifolds are not directly interchangeable as BMW moved the mounting studs in the cylinder head when they adopted the change in manifold design.

Regards.

On 11/2/2020 at 9:52 AM, Bigj66 said:

News from Bearmach is that the part numbers for the two pipes are PBP101240 and PBP101180. 

NLA from LR🙄

Still available as aftermarket though so will order one in to check.

Those numbers seem to be for the petrol engine oil cooler (according to the partscat). I looked at the diesel in the Workshop yesterday, the fittings are indeed M22. Strange...

• Like 1