Educate me about OBD readers please

nickwilliams

In addition to the 19J era 90, the Lightweight and two Series II vehicles currently being re-built, the family fleet includes a 15 plate Fiat Panda 4x4, a 66 plate Peugeot 508 SW, two 52 plate MGTF's and (as of yesterday) a 03 plate Subaru Forester.

Last time I changed the oil on the Panda I had to take it to a garage to get the oil warning re-set, and the Forester has a warning light which needs fixing before it goes for an MOT. It looks like it's time to buy an OBD reader, but it needs to be one which will work across a wide range of makes and will allow me to re-set fault codes.

I'm not very keen on the bluetooth phone adaptery thingies - in my experience if you only use that kind of gismo fairly occasionally you have to spend ages getting them to work each time you need them. I'd rather have something which is completely self contained and works out of the box. Having said that, something which uses a serial connection to a laptop dedicated for the purpose should be OK. 

Budget is a few hundred quid. 

What makes and models are good? Anything to look out for?

Maybe you should look again at the cheap bluetooth things. I don't like modern technology and don't even use a smart phone. But I do have an old smart phone and a cheap OBD dongle (€20 or something + a free app) in the Workshop to be able to do basic diagnostics on non-LR cars. I find it very easy to use, just plug it in, start Torque (or another app) and you're off. In fact, I find it easier to use than either the Hawkeye or Lynx LR systems. Still prefer my old Rovacom to everything else, but that can't handle modern(ish) stuff.

Filip

My understanding of ODB2 Readers is that OBD2 is primarily focus on the engine management but can talk across the CAN bus to other modules, while there are standard codes for the engine, car manufacturers like to use non standard codes for a lot of stuff and they charge for access to what these non standard codes mean.

Also for some of the more advanced stuff like talking the the ABS or other ECU's the reader needs to understand and send specific CAN bus messages which are again manufacturer specific and again manufacturers charge for access to this stuff.

So a lot of the really cheap readers, just read and read the standard codes and just tell a code number for some of the non standard ones, which you might find a description on the Internet for but it might be for the wrong vehicle.
The really cheap readers don't tend to do talking to other ECU's as well.

There are DIY range ODB2 tools that are slightly more expensive but the company making these tend to have paid the manufacturers for the non standard info and can give better messages and read/send CAN bus messages.

When looking in to why other Non Landrover (Hyundai) ABS light had come on I bought https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/foxwell-nt530-scanner-free-update.html
And it has paid for itself already instead of paying a local garage £30 a time for a diagnostic scan.

The NT530 can have up to 5 different make diagnostics/control databases load it to it at one time, it comes with 1 database for that price for you particular make of car, other databases could be purchase for about £60 each (if you wanted more than 5 make database you can just unload one and load another you have purchased)
I can do active tests on the ABS unit and even get it to run it's auto ABS bleed system (This is the type of thing a cheap ODB2 Reader won't do because these are really custom CAN bus messages)

The only downside is that the Car does not support Auto VIN reading, even though the system is capable and does the query, you then have to type in the VIN number in each time you connect the device (as the device has no way to remember a previously used VIN) and not having a full keyboard it takes a bit of time to enter it.

Edited by zardos

I also have a Foxwell scanner, which I bought for Freelander 1, and I can recommend it.

It will read and erase basic generic OBD 2 stuff on most makes, BUT, doesnt want to know the 64 plate Fiat Fiorino I have. Apparently Fiat are bit different to most, so would need the dedicated programme.

As a solution, I have decided to get rid of the Fiat. 

20 hours ago, Arjan said:

"As a solution, I have decided to get rid of the Fiat"

The Mrs. loves a Fiat Panda 4x4.......

Should i tell her ?

What I didnt like was the jiggly ride. Result of SWB and hard suspension for a heavy load. Other than that, and being just a bit TOO small for my needs, It was great.

Lot of niggles though, but what has put me off in the end, is the potential expensive problems. EGR, DPF, very expensive injectors, and worst of all is that they suffer from a LOT of timing chain failures, which usually needs a replacement engine.

The upper front suspension mounts fail a lot too, as do the Panda, so I understand.