Replacing the Upper Steering Column

The bearings are shot on my Upper Steering column, so I have a new one to replace it.
I have the Haynes manual, had a read through, seems easy enough, I've replaced the dash units before so know how to remove them.

Before I rip it apart, is there anything I should know?
Any parts I'll need to replace?
Any tips that make it easier or better etc?

It's not too bad a job, if we are talking about the whole upper column assembly (tube). Most of it can be stripped down inside the cab. Don't forget you'll need 2 new shear bolts for the ignition barrel/lock once you've managed to get the old ones out. From memory the column has to be drawn into the engine bay and the cutout in the bulkhead is oval on 1 side to allow the bracket which fixes the colum to the upper dash to be drawn through.

First up all the binnacle and steering surround needs to come off, then the steering wheel and switches unscrewed.

Then its a case of unbolting the steering colum and brackets, you may need to move the brake/and/or clutch pedal boxes to access the bolts though.

See this post for more info, as there is more than one approach if just doing the bearings.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Just one thing, IIRC from fitting mine many moons ago (its 1986 - 90)  I think there may be security bolts (torque bolts / shear bolts?) that are used when fitting the column but cant seem to see them/find them in the diagrams on the thread Pete showed.

Essentially IIRC when you fit the column you use bolts that essentaialy shear off the head of the bolt head during fitting. Think I have lost the plot as I cant see them anywhere!  Just worth noting if you find a bolt that doesn't seem to have a head for removing.

HTH (?) 😖 

All the best

🙂

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, western said:

Shear bolts  on the steering lock to column assembly,

51K4001L but new number is QRH100030

they are listed in the Electrical section page 711 of 90 & 110 parts books with the ignition switch & steering lock assembly 

Thanks. I don't have a steering lock, it was a military n/a originally, so maybe I don't have these bolts?

I have the whole thing to replace, tube and column in one piece, couldn't get bearings here and mechanics all on holiday until mid Jan, plus got a genuine part for £150 so easier to replace it all....

22 minutes ago, pete3000 said:

Sounds about right, the early military defenders didn't have the steering lock on the ignition key assembly. Otherwise you'd find it difficult to tell if you had left the steering lock on or if the non-power steering effort was just "normal".

Pete

Took the plastic cowling off, nothing there, so that one less step.
Adwest power steering box added 17 years ago so I'm power assisted ;) 

I have recently removed the steering column from my 1991 110 CSW, which was originally a Middle East spec, whatever that was, and it did not have shear bolts.  As far as I know the steering column/ignition switch has never been worked on previously, and I have owned the vehicle since 1995.

Mike