"easy" eberspacher heater

hurbie

hello all , 

a long time ago i owned a winterissed landrover 110 , it was fitted with the eberspacher DBW46 heater , only 1 switch to turn it on ...

after searching the internet , i found that these are more or less obsoleet and parts a getting very expensive .

so what is a good alternative , i noticed that a lot of modern cars have heaters fitted , but probebly al use canbus .

if someone can give some pointers as to what cars have "user friendly" heathers that we can put in our landy's , i can have a rummage at the local breakers 

A ThermoTop C is a good option.  They just switch on & off with a wire and are fitted to lots of cars so tend to be cheap, used.

Used is not a problem - they are dead easy to service so long as the major components work.  I bought one BMW X5 Aux Heater on eBay for £20 - and it worked fine!  The wiring loom had been hacked through but it's dead easy.

You can pick up ThermoTop Z heaters even cheaper.  The main difference is they are lower power than a C (arguably not what you want).  It's worth checking to see whether it's a C or Z as both were used in different BMW models - and I guess others too.

If it's supplied without a fuel or water pump, new ones can be had for the cheap Chinese heaters, which seem to work OK.  You will probably have those for your current one though.

Si

Most of the aftermarket Eberspacher/Webasto/Chinese clone heaters can be turned on with a simple switch or rheostat controller, but they also usually have the option of adding a more intelligent controller that talks over a bus to the heater.

Units pulled from cars as OEM fitment (Webasto water heaters being the common choice) are sometimes CAN-only (or K-line only, I forget) so look before you leap.