How many meters can I get on the drum?

streaky

The rebult 8274 complete with 6Hp motor is now bolted onto the front of the Defender.

Questions are..... how many meters or feet of either steel or plasma can I get on the drum?

The use of a winch is usually a last resort for our style of driving...if a mate can't get a strap onto the pulling point to yuck you out then that usually means you are stuck in a sand bowl and will need to be winched out.

Hence we have quite long winch lines here or some guys even carry an extension cable in a seperate bag.

How much synthetic line can I get on an 8274? I'm thinking of the 3/8 size.

How much steel cable can I get on the same winch?....again 3/8 size.

tar.

Regs.

S

I've got 120' of 10mm plasma on mine. Could squeeze a little bit more on but not a good idea as leaves no space for any bunching that may happen. For our use in comps I could probably do with a bit less but for your use Streaky 125' would be about right. Then acrry an extension of the same and you can use that to replace the winch cable if/when the need arises.

This mine with 120' of new 10mm dynaline fitted...

red109.jpg

And you might wanna try something like this to keep the UV of it...

red114.jpg

I've got 120' of 10mm plasma on mine. Could squeeze a little bit more on but not a good idea as leaves no space for any bunching that may happen. For our use in comps I could probably do with a bit less but for your use Streaky 125' would be about right. Then acrry an extension of the same and you can use that to replace the winch cable if/when the need arises.

This mine with 120' of new 10mm dynaline fitted...

red109.jpg

And you might wanna try something like this to keep the UV of it...

red114.jpg

Yer clever little sod Mark.... I like the idea of a that cover. Me thinks summat with a hinge would be a good idea so I can watch the cable. A sleeve over the exposed last 12 inches of rope would also be a good idea.

Is it possible to join two ends of a synthetic rope to make it longer and still allow the join/splice to go onto the drum?

Has anyone ever managed to squeeze the Albreit solenoid into the old style solenoid box? I was looking at it last night and though if it wern't for the wires coming from the socket then it would be a goodun.

Getting the actual solenoid into the box is not the issue...it's getting all of the power cables in there as well that started to complicate the issue.

Make the extension a few feet shorter than the winch rope. No sense in taking out the 125' extension then finding you need to re-rig the anchor because it is two feet away from the hook when there is enough line on the drum to pull...

I have a sleeve over the end of my winch rope to protect it where it comes out through the fairlead and it works well.

Streaky, that cover is just a bit of 3mm rubber mat, take it of for winching.

A sleeve for the few feet of cable is commercially available, not sure of the suppliers, can be slid along the rope to act as abrasion guard to if required. This stuff will wind on the drum you just need to watch when it first goes through the fairlead. I've been trying to lay my hands on some of the smaller bore fire hose, this may not go on the drum very well but would be a bloody good abrasion guard, reckon it would be good for our winch comps but maybe not so ideal for your use.

A splice in the middle of the rope is no issue and will not affect it going on to the drum at all. But this is more for repair of snapped rope than to extend one for a long recovery. If using an extension for long recovery is is usual to re-rig, hence BM's comment about extension length.

Hi,

You can get 150ft x 9.5mm (3/8") or 125ft x 11mm (7/16") on a 8274 standard drum no problem.

I have rock guard in stock and am happy to cut a length for anybody.

I usually suppy 2 mtrs with every line sold.

I agree, an in-line splice is usually only used to repair a broken line, not to extend one.

Much better to buy an extension line with finished soft eye ends in a length to suit you.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

Has anyone ever managed to squeeze the Albreit solenoid into the old style solenoid box? I was looking at it last night and though if it wern't for the wires coming from the socket then it would be a goodun.

Getting the actual solenoid into the box is not the issue...it's getting all of the power cables in there as well that started to complicate the issue.

Yep, mines done like that but no pics to hand (not that it would show anything)