Defender Rebuild Order

Hey guys, I recently dismantled my defender 90 tdi200, had the chassis galvanised and have now rebuilt it back to a rolling chassis with a new suspension. 

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I should proceed in rebuilding it. (It's my first rebuild project). Any advice on what I should put back in first and in what order? 

From a body point of view, they go back together working from the rear and working forwards. So Tub, seatbox, bulkhead, doors, wings etc. 

Things like the fuel tank are way easier to put in without eh body in the way. People will also often put fuel lines back in before the body so you can get to them. Brake lines too. 

• Like 1

Good advice above, though I left the seat base until later, but doing all the plumbing is much easier with the body off.

Definitely fit the tub first.  Centralise it on the rear cross member and bolt it there, but leave the front end loosely bolted as you can’t set its height until the bulkhead is fitted.

Fit the bulkhead after the tub is sitting so that you can use the B pillars of the tub as the datum for the door aperture.  LR used big washers between the bulkhead feet and chassis outrigger to set the length of the sill.   With the bulkhead roughly vertical, use a tight string line along the body crease where the barrel side needs the narrower vertical, just below the upper door hinges or above the upper rear lights, to guide the front of tub vertical position.  With the tub set , you can now use the B -pillars to set the alignment of the bulkhead (not just the distance for the sills, but also setting the angle of the bulkhead to be parallel to the B pillar).

After that, the rest just falls together, really.

• Like 1

I'd put everything that goes on the chassis on before the body. Then assemble the body, rear first but leave the bulkhead loose till the doors, roof and windscreen are fitted and lined up. Connecting brake lines and most of the wiring is easier with the wings off.

Mike

• Like 2