19j cylinder head

Kris.G

Hi all

complete newbie to forums here so i hope you'll excuse me, iv'e been reading on here about issues with the 19j engine which i have, and cracks between valves which i also have, hairline cracks but none the less they are there   i also have a crack right across the crown of piston 4    now i realise im possibly flogging a dead horse by spending money an time on this engine but im hoping there maybe someone on here to give me some light at the end of the tunnel and maybe a good cylinder head for sale possibly   

thank you and any advice is appreciated   apart from the obvious "id stick a tdi in it"   seem a bit hard to get hold of and i would like to keep the original if possible 

i have a 1991 90 2.5td 19j    my luck it must be the very last of them   

regards

Kris

Hi Kris, I have a good 19J cylinder head spare that I didn't need. It does need new hot spots inserting. 

Regarding the pistons, try and get a good make such as AE if you can. Replace all as I would imagine they will all have cracks if you look closely. 

To avoid the cracks: get your injectors serviced with new nozzles, change the engine oil regularly, don't thrash it. Consider fitting an intercooler. 

Hi monkie thank you very much for your reply.  I just been looking on turner engineering for pistons , I didn’t see a brand if I’m honest they were around £50 a piece , would these be any good or shall I keep looking for the. AE pistons ?  And yes I will change all 4.   I’m very interested in your spare cylinder head. Being a complete newbie on forums I wouldn’t know how to contact you to make arrangements. I’d need help with that also 😂  thanks again 

200Tdi is faster if you drive that way. But a good 2.5TD performs well enough and will cruise at 65-70mph no probs. Stock for stock the difference isn't really as big as made out. The difference comes in the fact the Tdi can be tweaked easily, which makes it feel a lot more punchy.

The 2.5TD might not be favoured, but they are a lot more refined and smoother than the Tdi's. Which is really noticeable at all times and esp at cruising speeds. We have 3 Ninety's with these in on the farm. Think they have done about 700,000 miles between them. All still going strong and no major issues in that time.

I'll second that. When a 19J fires up and idles, it is actually quite smooth compared the the clatter of a cold Tdi. I like the 19J, you just have to look after them well. I rebuilt mine a few years ago but I have to be honest and admit it has not been trouble free. I plan to do more longer trips in my 110 so for increased reliability and improved economy/performance I will be fitting a Defender 200Tdi with R380 stumpy once my 11 has functioning electricals again.

A19J is a quieter, smoother drive.  The Tdi is a fair bit more powerful, but it’s main advantage is the reliability.  The Tdi is also about 15% better on fuel consumption.  But if you’re happy with a 19J and can cheaply fix it, it’s not a bad choice to keep it.

Some people make the mistake of fitting cheap pistons or pistons for a 12J.  As long as you make sure you specify 19J with Turner Engineering, you’ll be taking as good a path as is available.  It’s also worth replacing the four oil jets and their banjo bolts while you’re at it - they cool the piston crowns, so are important but are fairly cheap.

Evening all 

thank you very much for all your advice and help, i really wanted to keep my 19j for a few reasons and even down to i prefer the look of them to the tdi engines , i like the old fashion look about them    BUT  i have a confession that makes me a hypocrite   ive been talked into a 300tdi conversion by a local mate and land rover guru    im still looking to rebuild the 19j if only for an ornament   some may say thats all theyre good for but i disagree  thanks again all of you 

300tdi is a good swap, makes the vehicle much easier to live with & drive, my 110 was a 19J TD when new, bought when it was 4 years old, replaced the TD with a brand new 200tdi back in 1993, it became a completely different vehicle, rebuilt the 200tdi 2 years ago when it was 24 years old & in excess of 350,000 miles, 

• Like 2

Hi Western it does seem the sensible choice,   i think i was fighting it to be honest   got to pick up the donor tdi tomorrow so hopefully the next few weekends it may be ready to go in   fingers crossed