Rrc suspension

defender dinky

hi all, I have a 88reg rrc, all stripped to bare chassis ready for sand blasters Wednesday, so I will be putting new bushes, suspension & shocks, I was wondering if I put a 2" lift on it will it affect the levelling boge on the aframe, struggling to find standard springs shock for it, any discent one out there without breaking the bank, dd

You need to work out if the boge strut is working first - if it's not you may as well remove it.  I don't think 2" lift will cause a huge problem with the boge but it's going to be at the end of its range. 

Standard springs for use with the boge are easy enough to get, with no functioning boge you can use early Disco 1 springs which give a slight lift (can increase this a little more with the spring isolators) and compensate for the loss of the boge strut. 

I think 2" is a bit harsh on a rangie unless you're going full on off road look with it, but the britpart and bearmach 2" springs are good enough. 

If you aren't going full 2" lift the standard woodhead type oil shocks are fine, or britpart cellular dynamic are good for the price. Bearmach occasionally have some good spring/shock deals in the 'offers' section on thier website. 

• Like 1

This guide is always very useful for working out springs- http://www.bilashakaflowers.com/LandroverSprings.htm

The early RR are only rated at 150lbs as the boge keeps the tail up - so with a worn unit you can go a little higher, around 200lbs and maybe a little extra spring length.  It will sit higher with a higher spring rate anyway so don't need much extra free length to give a lift. 

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I had standard police-spec rears on my RRC which were popular at the time, can't remember the part# though.

I have those on mine.  Drives well and gives a nice poise without looking lifted.