Cam wear

Not yet and to be honest, I wasn't planning on going that far.

The engine runs fine other than the oil leak and a few limp mode issues under real heavy load, it's done well for 160k.  

The initial issue and reason for stripping it was the pressure in the rocker caused by blowback past the injector seals.  Carbon deposits on the injector seats and in the rocker itself has shown this has been an ongoing problem, but one which I was aware of.

The replacement cams from turners are £850 including a new carrier with followers (best to do at the same time ) however after spending an entire evening and morning pouring over pictures of cam wear and other's opinions, I'm not overly worried about the state of these.  

Yes they are worn, that Is evident, but not excessive enough to not keep it going for another month or 2 whilst I save up to have them replaced.

Transit Mk7 aftermarket cams are identical and cheaper for the 2.4 Puma engine.

Regarding your initial pictures are they wiped clean? they still look a bit oily, in my opinion feeling will give you a better idea of if there's a problem, if you feel there's a rough(er) surface appearing then you've got a problem, but if its just polished I'd be less concerned - which I think is maybe the latter instance here going by the followers.

• Like 1

I guess it’s hard to capture it on a phone, they obviously aren’t dull like new, but not what I’d call glazed as such. 

You’d expect some discolouration given the mileage, however it’s not even across the cam.

Those closer to the bulkhead on the inlet side are showing more signs of discolouration than at the front. 

interestingly the injector with the worse blowback was the one nearest the bulkhead.

I took the head down to be skimmed, valve seats re done and all other manor of bits so I get back a nice shiny reconditioned head and whilst there I showed the chap the cams.

He said it's nothing to worry about, there is no sign of roughness or uneven wear looking at them, but he was happy to take a better look and get them measured up so I left them with him to do as well.

• Like 2