TD5 ECU connectors - Oil contamination

boaterboy

First let me say that whilst I have a Discovery2 TD5 I have no great knowledge of the engine and may even use the incorrect component descriptions in the following. However, I was given the below tip by someone who is knowledgeable. I apologise if the issue has already been dealt with on this forum, if so, please take it in the way it is intended, ie to perhaps save someone the cost of a new ECU - quite expensive I understand.

I was told that oil from the engine could by capillary action find its way along the wiring loom into the two multi-pin connectors on the ECU (situated immediately behind the battery), that should that be the case it would not be evident from a casual glance and if present could lead to ECU failure. Apparently the 'other' end of the multi-wire loom enters the engine at some point.

I found it easy to remove the ECU (one self tapping screw) and the loom was of sufficient length to allow the ECU to be removed. 

I was absolutely staggered to find both connectors awash with oil and the tray below, likewise.

I was advised to use brake cleaner aerosol spray to dilute the oil on all parts of the connectors sufficient for it to drain away and then to let the residue of the brake cleaner evaporate. 

I've reassembled the lot and all seems well. A lucky escape?

It is a well known issue with them, even though you have cleaned it out the oil can still cause you trouble, revised/improved engine top looms are available, I bought a genuine one for about £60 (admittedly that's a few years ago now!) and never had any more trouble.

In my case the engine was missing quite badly when warm. Good find though 👍

11 hours ago, boaterboy said:

I was very interested to read your comments, Blanco. Thank you for your reply.

How difficult / long a job is it to replace the loom. please?

Undo all the bolts around the tappet cover, lift it off and the harness is right there. It pops through the front right corner of the cam box with a O-ring to seal it.

www.discovery2.co.uk / Workshop /Injector Harness

20 hours ago, bear said:

Hi, Having renewed the injector harness check the ECU plug after a while as the oil may take some time to "drip" out of the loom.

Griff

This is important. I do mine every second oil change, pull the plugs off the ECU and give both ends a good squirt of contact cleaner.