200tdi defender 90 fuel sender trouble

I know it sounds stupid but iv run out of fuel yet again and its showing a third of a tank iv changed the tank sender twice now so i thought id ask the experts on hear .which direction should the float point ? forwards or backwards? iv had the problem since iv had the car.

My fault I missed you had put 90, in the title. 

make sure the float arm is not getting trapped & can use its full range of movement, 

looking at the 90parts book page on Retro's site the sender arm faces rear & the float is on the left side of its arm see the 2 screenshots.

2021-05-22 (1).png

2021-05-22 (2).png

Also worth checking the guage it self is properly earthed as that will affect the reading. Before you fit the sender in the tank, wire it up and turn the ignition on so that you can see when the float is at the bottom the gauge reads empty and then check the half full and full positions so you know for sure the sender is giving the correct signal for the gauge. That way you conclusively know there isn't a mismatch problem between gauge, sender and wiring. 

Have you tried bending the float arm up a bit? The variable resistor on the hed of the sender needs to travel all the way down to register empty - if the float hits the bottom of the tank first you'll always show more fuel than you have.